1986 90 hp johnson evinrude shift linkage bolt broken

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougyc

Cadet
So I've read the forums watched the videos and I know this bolt is a pain in the rear to get to. I've shifted into reverse moved all the lines out of the way side and can see where the hex/slot head screw head should be, but it looks like the previous owner broke off the screw head.

Any suggestions?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You may be looking at this all wrong and making assumptions.-----Is there a hitch pin on that horizontal shaft that goes under the carburetors , yes or no ?

dougyc

Cadet
Yes if I'm outside the boat with the motor in front of me on the right hand side where all of the linkages are. There is a hitch pin. I can get pictures if they help.

dougyc

Cadet
I think you're onto something the manual says remove the shift rod screw OR pull the retaining pin, checking it out now.

Thank you sir.

dougyc

Cadet
I wish I had asked sooner. Lower unit is now off and it was super easy. Thank you again for pointing me in the right direction.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I try to teach and prevent folks from making expensive mistakes.-------Nothing to it.----Best to ask question before using a hammer !!

Agates

Recruit
I know this is a year old but mine two was broken off and then I pulled the pin and pushed to rod but the two pieces holding the shift rod are either fuses together or one piece. I have pulled the carbs and it looks solid. Any suggestions? I have a 1985 90hp Johnson.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I know this is a year old but mine two was broken off and then I pulled the pin and pushed to rod but the two pieces holding the shift rod are either fuses together or one piece. I have pulled the carbs and it looks solid. Any suggestions? I have a 1985 90hp Johnson.

You should start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.