Evinrude 6hp help!

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
Bought a pretty old evinrude 6hp. Was able to get it started and it runs great when throttle is applied. My issue is it won't hold throttle. And it just dies at idle. Any ideas? Sorry if it's not explained well.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Check compression first.----Then check and see if spark will jump a gap of 1/4" or more.----Most important tests you can do.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral
Bought a pretty old evinrude 6hp. Was able to get it started and it runs great when throttle is applied. My issue is it won't hold throttle. And it just dies at idle. Any ideas? Sorry if it's not explained well.

Do you mean the throttle slowly closes again ? Mine has always done that ... its a PITA on a sail boat but I put a thin fiber washer in one of the linkage joints to stiffen it up

( later 8hp models had a clamp on the tiller grip to stop it! )

BUT if that is the trouble you should be able to increase the idle revs so that it does not actually die.

What year/ model number are we talking about ?

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
Any idea what the compression should be? And I'll find the model out and year later.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No model # ----Therefor no compression values.-----But post what you get on yours after using a good tester.

Asnyder19

Seaman Apprentice
Its a fisherman 6 serial 6202dj 08268
other than this i can't find anything else on it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
That would be 72 model.------Does spark jump a gap of 1/4" gap on both leads , yes or no?----Compression in the 80 to 90 psi on a good one.

Vic.S

Rear Admiral

F_R

Supreme Mariner
If you are saying the throttle turns itself off, the coils are dragging on the flywheel magnets.
-----OR-----
The friction block and/ or spring is missing out of the twist grip handle.
------OR-----Both