Removal of propshaft Evinrude 10 1998 (E10QRECC)

lindeman63

Cadet
Could someone please tell me how to remove the propshaft? Found the spring but the two detent balls are missing. I suspect they are stuck inside there somewhere and I need to find out. But first
i have to get the shaft out, the fork who moves the clutchdog will not allow enough space to pass the clutchdog free. Anyone? 20180602_132229.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The shaft should now pull right out.----Yes it should.-------Unless of course there is a problem with the thrust bearing.----Then you might need a small atomic bomb to get it out.----Can't find that Q in the parts listing , so where is this motor ?

Last edited:

lindeman63

Cadet
There is no way that shaft is coming out as long as the fork who runs the dog is there. Been scratching head all day, no solution in the horizon. Some mention one or two retaining rings but there is not any as far as I can see. May be there is a repair manual out there?

Attachments

• photo292015.jpg
    photo292015.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

lindeman63

Cadet
BTW, the trustbearing seems loose. I am afraid something is going to brake if I yank it out with brute force.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So there is no Q in the model # on this one.------Oh well ----I have about 15 or more of these units around my cluttered shop.----Have pulled apart these units many times.-----The propshaft should pull right out unless there is DAMAGE to the parts !!----Bring it over I show you how.----Don't listen to " someone " about the 2 retaining rings

lindeman63

Cadet
Ok, I live in Norway- I will catch the first flight available..:lol:
But need the shift rod to be in a certain position (fwd neutr rew)? And the bolt that goes through the fork should it be engaged or doesnt it matter? I really appreciate your advice&help:joyous:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Once more----The shaft should now pull right out !!----No other pins , bolts or clips to be removed at all.--Does not matter whether it is forward / neutral or reverse either.--I suspect there is a burr or damage at the front of the shaft !

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you would have pulled that assembly with the correct tool the driveshaft would have come out. Do you have a flywheel puller handy.

lindeman63

Cadet
So the clutchdog is not suppose to come off together with the shaft? Then when the shaft is removed the clutchdog will come off easy- make sense.. I will try.

lindeman63

Cadet
Home made puller. Have to use a lot of torque, not sure if I am prepared for this. Bit afraid to ruin the whole project:facepalm:

Attachments

• photo292123.jpg
    photo292123.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 0

lindeman63

Cadet
So, I used my puller and some force. What happened was that the axle came loose with a big bang. The shifter lever&yoke assembly was holding it back (the clutchdog) but because of the force used it slipped over the two "trunnions" on the inside of the yoke assembly (the ones that is engaged in the craddle) and made some metal come loose from the craddle. Hopefully it is not destroyed. Still really doubt if this was the correct way to remove the shaft. Anyway- no signs of the two missing detent balls. Beginning to think they was never installed. Could some tell me the measurement of the detent balls?

Any advise on reassembling would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• photo292131.jpg
    photo292131.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo292132.jpg
    photo292132.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo292133.jpg
    photo292133.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was clutch dog installed correctly ?---It only goes one way.----Does clutch dog move freely on the spline ?----Any evidence this lower unit had been worked on before ?

lindeman63

Cadet
No one told me that the gearshift rod had to be removed.:confused: Should have thought about it myself. Easy when shiftrod was removed. The rest came out easily. And the two detent balls was there to! Hoping parts are still useful. Happy days!:joyous: And no, this engine has been in our family since new 1997 so i am the one who is taking care of it.

Found a very useful video on Youtube that was containing exactly my issues. Check out "Brandon`s Garage" on YT.
Anyway, thanks guys for useful hints&tips.
:)

Attachments

• photo292135.jpg
    photo292135.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo292136.jpg
    photo292136.jpg
    926.2 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Shift rod did not have to be removed to pull the propshaft out as pictured in post # 1

lindeman63

Cadet
Well, the clutch dog is stuck on the shaft and is not ment to be slided off the shaft (can be slided fwd and aft). As shown on the picture there is a washer on each side. One of them can be removed but still not possible to get off. On the aft side the washer just rotates but will not come off the shaft. Now I`m struggelin to get the gears&propshaft back where it belong..

Attachments

• photo292153.jpg
    photo292153.jpg
    1,007.8 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The clutch dog has to slide off the shaft !!!-------The parts book shows 2 thrust washers and they SHOULD simply slide off the shaft.-----That may be the " smoking gun " to all your frustration as per post # 5 on here.------Get the washers off and order new parts.--------Just so you know I resealed a gearcase like that 30 years ago.---Had it all apart too.---When I walked back to the neighbor with it he said ---" that did not take you very long "----Have to ask, ----Why are you taking this case apart in the first place ?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Your to detent balls need to go under the cluch dog. Is the spring still in the proshaft? If it is it may twisted up under the clutch dog itself. That could be why your clutch dog is stuck.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Post # 1 says he found the spring !!----The issue was with the 2 thrust washers !------One thrust washer appeared to be stuck inside the clutch dog.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Some will argue but I have seen those springs break and small parts get stuck under the dog. while the rest of it falls out!!