76 evinrude 15 hp overheat/engine fire

PT16

Recruit
i have a 76' 15hp evinrude outboard engine I use for fishing. So I took it on the Wisconsin river the first time and after about 45 min smoke started coming out of the engine cause bee near the top. I shut the engine off and it continued to smoke and make crackling noises. I have not yet tried to start it yet. I took the cover off after it cooled down and I see no indication of burns from what I can see. Does anybody have Any suggestions or advice on this matter? I am pretty handy and would like to fix it myself.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

The motor was overheated, hopefully with no permanent damage.

When was the impeller changed? It needs it and maybe a full kit.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Check the compression on it and do the water pump for starters.

PT16

Recruit
I do not know the last time the impeller was replaced. Also, what is a full kit?

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
I do not know the last time the impeller was replaced. Also, what is a full kit?

Full kit is more than just the rubber impeller itself. It means a new housing, gaskets. impeller, seals, "O" rings, etc.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Agree, check compression before proceeding any further. Also check spark, if it was smoking, you may have burnt up the stator and electrics under the flywheel.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^+1. Some refer to dead motors as boat anchors. I think of them as parts motors (and have had a bunch of them). If you have good even compression of, say, 110-120 (maybe somewhat less), it's got a chance. If you have good compression and spark, you're golden -- buy the impeller or impeller kit.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Smoking and making crackling noises, you say. Hate to be a pessimist, but it has a very good chance of being an anchor.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Beware of sinking a bunch of money into that motor. It has low tension ignition. Not one of OMC's better ideas. As mentioned several times check things out (a lot) before you continue. Unless it is electric start (desirable) it doesn't have a stator, but other items under the flywheel that probably need replacing?