New Outboard Owner Here - '68 Evinrude Ski Twin 33 HP - leak somewhere

livestrong2012

Recruit
Hey All -

I've got a new-to-me 13 ft whaler, with a beautiful '68 Evinrude Ski Twin 33 HP, that seems to have a leak in the gear case somewhere.

New to the outboard world. Based on what I've see in diagrams - thinking the leak may be at the shift rod o ring/bushing. Here is a quick video I did - https://youtu.be/3NLAQKj6hG4

What do you all think?

I’d reseal the gear case and replace o rings when fixing that issue. Just want to confirm I'm on the right track.

I did change the lower oil and it was milky when draining, no standing water, but milky. Would it be safe to run with the fresh oil and see how it does?

Thanks!

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes you can run it for a short time with the fresh oil, until it gets milky again. You are probably correct that the shift rod o-ring is the culprit, but if you get a complete seal kit then you can do the job right.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Check it before fixing. A little pressure in an empty gearcase (think bicycle pump), then some soap spray around likely spots (shift shaft, drive shaft, prop shaft -- don't overlook the drain and fill screw gaskets).

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Unless you do a pressure/vacuum test on the case, replacing any seal is just ‘guessing’. It may just be one of the two vent/drain-fill screw gaskets/seals that are bad. So, as mentioned, try new oil with new gaskets and see what happens.
In the meantime, replacing the impeller would be a good idea

F_R

Supreme Mariner
At 50 years old, it has a right to leak a bit, so some reseals may be in order. But consider this: How long did it take to get milky? In other words, when was the oil last changed? The book says every 100 hours or once a season. Reckon why that is?

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Also, are you sure it's leaking lower unit oil? Old 2-stroke outboards are messy beasts - they'll often dribble a bit of unburned fuel/oil mix out of the exhaust and some of the lower unit drain passages, particularly if the motor is running rich or has been idling for a length of time.