Is my stator bad?

Vandkanten

Seaman
According to the service manual I should be able to measure this on the stator output:

Brown -> Brown/Yellow, 720-880 Ohm, 150-400 Vac

I measure this: 750 Ohm, and 106 Vac when I crank by hand (A hard pull)

I am able to measure max. 170Vac by cranking by machine at max RPM

Even at 170Vac, I didnt got spark. But maybe it couldnt generate enough amp.

What is your oppion, should I assume that the stator is bad and replace it?

Vandkanten

Seaman
Shouldnt I be able to produce at least 150Vac by pulling the rope?

The service manual states that if the output is out of spec then the stator is bad.
Only way I can produce more than 150Vac is by using a highspeed drill to rotate the flywheel.
And that makes me unsure, cause now I am within specs.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral
My first inclination is always just to go with what FR has to say....but because inquiring minds need to know... :) .... I tried to figure out some numbers.
Without measurements....just estimating....you will get a MAX of 48" pull....assuming 3/16" cord....6" of effective wrap.diameter (8" spool, 2 " core) .... your pull will only generate 16 revolutions max...in say....2 seconds.
That is less than 500 RPM.....i.e. less than idle speed.

You do not say what RPM you get from the high speed drill, but probably ~ 1000. Even that is not a lot.

If I had just listened to FR in the first place, I could have saved myself some time....:)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
With respect to what Tim said, it is not the number or revolutions or for how long. It is simply how fast you are rotating it. A good hard pull on a rope can turn it around 200 RPM, albeit for a very short time. But as I said, it not for how long that counts. This fact is why you can rope start it in an emergency.

The really big variable as applies here is the voltmeter being used and how connected.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A valuable test of the stator is just look at it. If the coils are cracked or gooey or leaking, they are bad, no matter what the fancy instruments say.

Vandkanten

Seaman
Lesson learned: A valuable test of the stator is just look at it. Thank you F_R.

My stator is 20 years old and looks abit rusty ans the paint is falling apart.
I will replace it. Crossing fingers for getting sparks.

Fed

Commander
Why don't you do the tests & find out why you have no spark before replacing stuff?

Vandkanten

Seaman
Hi Fed,

I have already done all the test according to the service manual and CDI troubleshooting guide.

Plugs is ok.
Coils is measured and ok.
All connecters is replace and wires is tested.

Cannot test timing (OIS) but is cleaned.
Cannot test test CDI.

​​​​​​Am I Missing somrthing?

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
Did you disarm the black/yellow stripe kill circuit first? No spark if system is grounded.

Fed

Commander
How are you testing for spark & did you disconnect the Yellow wires from the stator to the rectifier?
What motor is it?

Vandkanten

Seaman
Its an Evinrude 3-cyl 35 hp from 1998.
Yes, I have disconnected the killwire totally. Hanging in the air (disconnected)

I dont have a rectifier.

I am using a spark tester. I have testet my plugs elsewhere and know that they can spark, brand new.
I have measured the coils, ohm is ok but they dont get 100 volts from the CDI box.
Which leaves me with CDI, stator or timing.