Johnson 115 V4

Chris06180

Cadet
I recently purchased a 95 Stratos bass boat with a Johnson 115 V4. Model number J115GLEOC. I’m not familiar with it at all. It had been running fine. We were heading down the river and it just shut off. No sputtering. Just like you turned the key off. Someone told me it may be the kill switch. It has 3 wires. 2 black and yellow. And one black. Any help on testing it before I send it to the shop? Most of the ones I see on here only have 2 wires. I have confirmed there is no spark. Thanks!

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
You should be able to drop the ignition switch out of the dash (15/16" socket). Might want to unhook battery from engine. On the back of the switch you will see two M terminals (magneto) disconnect those wires. The third wire may be a plug in? Depends on who's wiring harness was used. You can try starting the motor without unhooking the third wire if it is hard wired in. You need to have water for the engine. If you don't have a flush kit you can screw the hose into the back of the engine where the over board water flows out. If motor starts you will not be able to shut it off. You can push the key in at idle & flood it out. If the engine still doesn't start you may want to consult a dealer. Strong possibility of a pack. Get back with us.

Chris06180

Cadet
Still no start with the M terminal on the ignition switch unhooked. I did bring a tester home and the kill switch appears to be working.

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Your kill switch is located on your control by the throttle. Is the lanyard all the way on ?

Chris06180

Cadet
Just to clarify, the kill switch is working. I tested it with a power probe. Motor spins over fine. No start. No spark.

Chris06180

Cadet
Ok so I went and purchased a different type of spark tester. All 4 cylinders have spark but it’s very weak.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Sounds like its the power pack.

If I may comment here,...

I would advise not to just throw a pack at this. Packs and coils can only do with what they get...

I suggest starting at the beginning here. Goto cdielectronics.com and run through their troubleshooting guide for your model first. It's free. A few special tools but you can usually borrow or rent from a parts store.

this could very well be a stator if I read the thread correctly

Chris06180

Cadet
Well I followed the flow chart on CDI website. Stator checks out good. Output voltage from the power pack to the coils is very low. A local repair guy said he sees a lot of problems with them. Even the new ones. Guess I’ll take a gamble and try it.

Rustywrench

Petty Officer 1st Class
OMC did have a lot of power pack issues with these motors (V-6 also), but glad jakedaawg mentioned checking the stator. Keep those battery cables tight so you don't overheat the stator windings.

Chris06180

Cadet
New CDI power pack installed and started right up. Running good. Now if I can just catch some fish this weekend! Thank y’all again for the help!