1979 johnson 4hp lower crank seal / exhaust gasket

jonbeeotch

Recruit
Model 4904d

Hi, new member here. Been lurking and learning from all of your knowledge over the past couple years :) I'm not a mechanic, but I do drive an aircooled Volkswagen, and 1974 honda motorcycle... so taking stuff apart is part of daily life. I have been using a vintage zodiac, and now an Achilles to go around and take photos with a drone.

Bit of a back story, or skip to the end for the specific issue.
I've had this motor for a year, gave it a general tune up and it ran fine. Thought I'd be a good owner replace the impeller. It was a NIGHTMARE. The driveshaft was stuck in the powerhead (previous person in there did not put an o-ring or lube). After 2 weeks of blood, sweat, tears, fire, assault, broken pieces of the lower unit... the 3rd make shift puller got it out (see attached pic). Anyways, I was at the point that I thought I had destroyed this poor thing, so I put it back together rather quick to see if it would still run, WITHOUT changing the gaskets, OR the lower crank seal (I took a photo of the seal before I put it back together, also attached).

I live in an apartment, so I have to test on the water. Took it out, and it ran! Noticed water leaking from the powerhead gasket, which made sense. After a bit, it was running rough at full throttle, losing power, stalling. It was worse depending on the angle it was mounted on the transom.

Got home and took it all apart. Water everywhere! All over the gasket, and up into the exhaust. Also foamy sludge from exhaust, which i'm assuming is water milkshaked with oil and moly lube.

So i'm getting ready to either buy or make new gaskets and seal it up.
Questions are:
1. Gasket sealer? Can I get from local auto parts store? I want to use... but will it be a nightmare getting it apart in the future?
2. Once gasket mating surfaces are clean, would it make sense to lightly sand with a block?
3. Any other tips to ensure a good seal?
4. The big question is the lower crank seal. It is an obsolete part. found one online, but with shipping, it is $70 Canadian! I had no reason to believe it was bad in the first place (aside from all the banging and heat around it), but it feels weird to not replace when it is staring at me. The gaskets are obviously beyond dead, and are the primary reason for the water intrusion with water spraying all over the place inside and out. It seem like if the gaskets were good, water wouldn't even be able to make its way to where the lower crank seal is? Compression is good. I also filled the seal cup with oil and cranked the motor a bunch looking for bubbles. I'm thinking of doing the gaskets really well... but then don't want to be worried about the seal. Any other ways to DIY test it?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• photo290254.jpg
    photo290254.jpg
    866 KB · Views: 0
  • photo290255.jpg
    photo290255.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 0
  • photo290256.jpg
    photo290256.jpg
    373.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo290257.jpg