1985 evinrude 25hp only runs on choke

Keeth Prince

Recruit
Hey guys, i believe i have an 85 evinrude 25hp that womt run unless the choke is completely closed .I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb. I have also replaced the fuel pump .It starts right up but as soon as you let go of the choke it dies. Any ideas? Thanks .

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
high speed jet cleaned out with compressed air did you also pull the dime size plug on top and clean the drip chamber with 3 small holes

compression ?? ok all passages blown with air ??

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Believe it or not, you're running lean. You missed cleaning a port on your carb rebuild.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
A classic case of a dirty high speed jet (orifice plug) in the very bottom of the carburetor where it collects all the crud. Don't feel bad, lots of people overlook that.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I read your post on another forum. It seems you are saying it starts, sneezes and dies. Asking the obvious: Have you tried simply setting the slow speed needle richer?

A bit of sneezing and a need to "bump" the choke till it warms up is normal. Especially in cold weather.

Also, could be the sync is off (carb throttle butterfly opening too soon).

'85 should have a primer. It would help to know what you have. Picture???

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Would want to be sure both the idle passages and the high speed jet are clean. Access to the idle passages is by removal of the domed expansion fitting at the top. The h.s. jet is at the bottom behind the screw plug, and can be carefully cleaned out with some soft wire or a piece of mono. (Soak with something strong enough to cut through fuel varnish, and finish with carb spray through all openings.) The nozzle gasket also has to be in place. The initial setting for the idle needle is 1 1/2 turns open from seated (adjust from there).

I believe the regular running position for the red lever on the primer is parallel to the body of the unit.