Nothing over 3k rpm

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
Have checked most of the simple stuff. Runs/starts great. Jumps out of the hole until you hut about 3000 rpms, then falls flat on her face. If you pull the throttle back, it will recover and continue on. If you keep throttle applied over 3k, it will die, and be stubborn to start. Also, for a while now the low oil alarm goes off. Beep, 2 or 3 sec’s at idle. Increase in frequency with more rpms. If you shut off, restart. Alarm goes away for a while,
I’ve rebuilt the oil and fuel side ofvthe VRO pump. New fuel/water seperator. New plugs/gray wires/power pack. The only thing I havent done yet is to try on remote fuel tank. Primer bulb seems to pump up and stay firm. The engine, btw, is a 94 model johnson 150 fast strike.

Any ideas?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
It could be a fuel restriction. That motor may have a fuel restriction alarm, that you may be hearing. Check the main strainer and any other fuel filters, as well as the antisiphon valve for a restriction.

Second choice is the vapor pump on the vapor separator, if you have one.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You said you rebuild the fuel side of the VRO. Are you still using the oil side if so was it properly bled.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat did the same thing cost me a month of a season I’d start with that anti-siphon valve!!!!!!!!!!!! $3 part.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
you will need to connect a pre mix tank To the motor.To bleed that disconnect the oil line from the pump. Pump about 16 oz out of the line to make sure there is no air in the line. Now start the motor and wait for the no oil alarm to go off. Once it does put the oil line on the pump and give the oil primer ball a squeeze. The alarm should stop sounding. You must be running on pre mix while doing that.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The alarm changing with rpm i find to usually be a bad horn, a bad sending unit (in this case vro or oil tank), or a bad system check guage.

the question you need to ask is what is activating the "slow " system. Are you overheating? Just seeing water pee does not say much

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
OK, Here's where I'm at. Went down to the Marina, Boat is on a lift so is easy to work on and test.

The first thing I did was, removed the oil line from the VRO. Pumped about 16 oz into a bottle. No bubbles, but super hard to pump.
The second thing I did was to premix my half tank of fuel at 50:1, just in case.
Put the oil hose back on, gave it last pump. Started engine and let get good and warm.
Engine starts well and seems to run well. (at the dock) After pumping the throttle up to 3k a couple of times and clearing the engines, returned to idle. THEN, the slow, beeeeep..............beeeep.......Beep....So while it was doing that, I squeezed the oil bulb nice and hard. Sure enough, beep goes away. It seems as there is a restriction somewhere between the bulb and the engine. The and pickup, bulb, & hose are new. Had to modify the pickup and filter a little when I put in my old tank. It was a little too tall. Pretty easy fix. (I had the beeping problem before then too)
So, I figure I will figure out the beep issue.
Next, I dug out my "Snap-on" timing light (w/tach) to start troubleshooting. The engine is idling too fast in gear at 1050ish rpm and I have no way to make slower. The linkage isn't touching the roller at that RPM and the "slow" setting on the timing disc is all the way down. So there's one problem. The timing at that rpm is 9 ATDC. Checked all cylinders for fire. All good. Have not down a compression test yet, because I forgot to take it with me.

Quick question on vacuum hoses and possibly vacuum leaks. When I was putting back together a goziilion times in the past, something doesn't seem right with a hose on the bottom. I realize there supposed to be one that sticks on a (broken off) nipple on the flame arrestor, but the hose I am left with has an open vacuum within it. I tesyed with a small piece of shop paper towel and it tries to suck in. That doesn't seem right. That hose is connected to a manifold directly beside and behind the fuel rail on the strbd side. There is another of the exact same on the port side, but it goes to something. Could this be the source of my excess rpm's at idle?

I have not checked the anti-siphons valves yet, but they a pretty simple. It's next on the list.

Thanks for the reply'ss so far!

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
Btw, It's not activating the SLOW system and it is not over heating. The SLOW function is easy to tell. It will shake the motor off the boat as soon as you hit 2500 rpm. This is over 3000 and is really trying to hit. Like fuel starvation.
Also, did I mention, it seems to DRINK the gas now. You can almost watch the gauge fall at (fast) idle in the dock. Doesn't seem to be flooding. Cant see any fuel sheen on the water. Tanks are small. Two 13 gallon tanks.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
That anti siphon valve is sooo simple but it will cause you the exact problem of restricting fuel and causing your boat to fall on its face as you say. It does sound like a vacuum problem but pull that valve. When I pulled mine I really couldn’t see anything faulty but it sure ran great after I removed it

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
To bleed the vro the oil line must be left off when starting the motor. You want the oil alarm to go off before you reattach the oil line. And the hose must be dis connected from the oil Side of the pump. From the way It Sounds your sensor may Be bad in the pump.

Jim Crews

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced the VRO (circuity side) as well, granted with another old one, but...I will try the bleeding method as directed by you. Typically, should that bulb be that difficult to push oil through or could I have a pinch in the cowling fitting? I guess there's an easy way to find out.

How about some help on those vacuum lines!
anyone?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those vacuum lines one usually goes to the top bearing. But if you are running on muffs your idle will be high. I would never replace the oil sensor with a used one. Those are available new. You may have multiple problems going on here.