1979 OMC 140 Sterndrive mounts are out...

dcweber88

Recruit
I am a proud owner of my first boat, a 1979 with an OMC 140 Sterndrive. I have the motor running thanks to some of the threads I found here so thanks to everyone that helped others in the past.

I put it in for a float test and that went well. That is until I turned it up past idle. As soon as it started to plane I came to the realization that the entire motor was lifting up from the frame mounts. I am not entirely sure what to call them, but they are the square braces that the mounts bolt onto. They aren't attached to the boat.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to remount these braces to the boat?

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Need to post a few more times before you can upload pics

If your talking about the front motor mount and the lag screws that go into the stringers, then you have hull rot

lag.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Either the hull is rotten or your missing the nuts on the trim ram

boobie

Supreme Mariner
You should post this in the OMC Stern Drive section of this forum as you'll get better replys.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the stringers are rotten.------Time to get out the saws-all and such.------One of the risks of buying an old boat.------Depending on what type of boating you do this is a huge safety concern too.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
To stay proud and stay a boater sell that junk ASAP before you get disgusted and broke.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Get an estimate on how much to fix it before running off into the heat of the day.