No Power at WOT, but runs idles great

jsmilesTX

Recruit
First and foremost I am new to this forum so thank you.

I have a 1991 Evinrude 30hp outboard with electric start. I ran this boat for about 20 miles in January with no problems at all. boat sat for a month and a half and started with no problem. I did notice no water coming out so I replaced the water pump. (fixed the issue). I also replaced the thermostat just for insurance and the old one tested out to be a working one. I put the boat in last week and and gave it full throttle and it wont go.

Things I have done
1) Fuel Pump
2) New Carb Kit
3) Put clamps on all hose connections
4) Good fuel

These are my questions
1) Can changing a water pump and thermostat do this?
2) What else can I do?

jasper60103

Commander
First and foremost I am new to this forum so thank you.

I have a 1991 Evinrude 30hp outboard with electric start. I ran this boat for about 20 miles in January with no problems at all. boat sat for a month and a half and started with no problem. I did notice no water coming out so I replaced the water pump. (fixed the issue). I also replaced the thermostat just for insurance and the old one tested out to be a working one. I put the boat in last week and and gave it full throttle and it wont go.

Things I have done
1) Fuel Pump
2) New Carb Kit
3) Put clamps on all hose connections
4) Good fuel

These are my questions
1) Can changing a water pump and thermostat do this?
2) What else can I do?

Maybe the carb linkage is out of sync after you rebuilt it?
Is the butterfly opening all the way at WOT?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
When you did the carb job, did you use the correct gaskets to ensure the main nozzle is sealed to the carb body? Some float bowl gaskets do the sealing, others require a separate 'O' gasket

jsmilesTX

Recruit
I wanted to say thank you for all the help.

I did a compression test and I got 120 on both. I only had spark on the bottom cylinder. Comes to find out when I was changing th thermostat I hit the power cable going to the coil and broke the cable. Fixed it and back to running at full power!!!

thank you everyone. Next time I need to check for spark.

jasper60103

Commander
I wanted to say thank you for all the help.

I did a compression test and I got 120 on both. I only had spark on the bottom cylinder. Comes to find out when I was changing th thermostat I hit the power cable going to the coil and broke the cable. Fixed it and back to running at full power!!!

thank you everyone. Next time I need to check for spark.

Good job .
Thanks for the update .