Shift rod pin head broke off

mcgreavster

Seaman
I was planning on changing out the impeller on my 1988 XP150 this week, I put it in reverse and started removing the shift rod pin and then the head broke off of the bolt. There is maybe 3/8's of a inch of thread exposed on the port side now, I tried spinning the rest of it out with a long pair of needle nose pliers with no luck. Does anybody have any ideas what I should do next?

Also just so I know what I'm trying to accomplish here, is rod coming up from the lower unit threaded? Or just the "U" shaped assembly that it fits between, or what exactly is this thing threading into?

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The screw to disconnect the shift rod is reached from the starboard side.---Not sure how there could be some sticking out on the port side !----- The shift rod is one piece and it threads into the lower unit.----Any pictures of this dilemma ?---Can you install a nut with high strength Loctite ?

Last edited:

mcgreavster

Seaman
This is the bolt. I got it out about 3/8’s of an inch before the head broke off. I can try the loctite and nut trick if I didn’t mess the threads up trying to spin with needle nose pliers. Either way should I spray with PB blaster ?

Attachments

• photo286968.jpg
    photo286968.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Hmmm, at least you were trying. Now, on to the fix.

I believe you will now need to remove the cowl to gain access. Once you get the cowl off the rest should be fairly self evident. Linkage will come apart and you may be able to get the yoke off with a machinist wedge or similar to spread it. Then you may attempt to remove bolt and replace.

in the future just remove the hitch pin on the linkage on starboard side and slide the assembly to port.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well ---the parts book shows a bolt that you remove from the starboard side..----So perhaps changes / modifications have been made.----I have never seen one with changes like yours.----So no further help here.

mcgreavster

Seaman
Well ---the parts book shows a bolt that you remove from the starboard side..----So perhaps changes / modifications have been made.----I have never seen one with changes like yours.----So no further help here.

This is the factory setup, every post/YouTube video has this exact set up. The bolthead is on the port side.

ob

Admiral
To answer your question in your initial post. Yes , just the U shaped block has threads in it and not the shift rod itself. Otherwise , sounds like you got a real bugger on your hands there. I suppose installing a nut onto the 3/8" exposed threads sticking out is maybe possible if you could even get it started. Otherwise something that may work is a pair of extended nose vise grips to get ahold of it. Of course if it was so tight it broke off the pin bolt head , it may be futile. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would take the other bolt out and pull the shift shaft out of the coupler. That way you might be able to spin the shaft to get a better grip on what is left of the bolt. The bottom carbs may need to come off for better access. The bolt is probably stripped that's why it is so tight. Hopefully you can get a vice grips on it.

mcgreavster

Seaman
To answer your question in your initial post. Yes , just the U shaped block has threads in it and not the shift rod itself. Otherwise , sounds like you got a real bugger on your hands there. I suppose installing a nut onto the 3/8" exposed threads sticking out is maybe possible if you could even get it started. Otherwise something that may work is a pair of extended nose vise grips to get ahold of it. Of course if it was so tight it broke off the pin bolt head , it may be futile. Sorry I can't help any more than that.

I’m going to try to see if I can get a nut with loctite on it if I didn’t already mess the threads up. If that doesn’t work, which it probably won’t I’ll pull the bottom carb and hopefully be able to get vice grips on it. There can’t be more than 2-3 threads left in there. Thanks for the advice guys