25HP evenrude questions.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have two 25hp rudes, both tillers and I have some questions. One of these is a runner and the other is a parts unit. The runner is a 96 and Im wondering if there is any difference in the lower unit on this than the lower unit on the 88 parts motor.

Also wondering is the powerheads are same or at least similar as I may want to rebuild the one on the parts motor if it is still salvagable. If it will not even fit the mid section on the 96 Ill just part it out.

And lastly for now, on the 96 engine the carb butterfly goes past level at full throttle which does not seem right to me.The motor runs strong, but the throttle was messed with by the previous owner. Can this just be corrected through the throttle linkage?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The 96 i believe still has the wire for the carb butterfly. The wire runs under the fly wheel to the magneto this can be adjusted for the carb opening.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so I guess its safe to assume the starter and flywheel will interchange? I would like to convert this to electric start.

Any differences between the carbs other than the low speed needle?

I remember reading about the manufacturers having to change some things to make the stated HP numbers correct, ie a 25hp motor actually putting out 25hp.

jasper60103

Commander
OK, so I guess its safe to assume the starter and flywheel will interchange? I would like to convert this to electric start.

Any differences between the carbs other than the low speed needle?

I remember reading about the manufacturers having to change some things to make the stated HP numbers correct, ie a 25hp motor actually putting out 25hp.

You can research parts between years at boatsDOTnet or other online part suppliers.