JW-17 3 hp johnson fuel shut off

vdubtech

Recruit
hello, new to this forum and looking for a little help with a great little outboard. Seems that the tank shut off leaks a ton of fuel and this part is no longer available. I have been looking for a replacement in the modern type but wondering if anyone has repacked/rebuild one of these before.

All in all I guess I'm wondering what other guy's have done to repair this deal with out throwing gobs of money at it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Unscrew the packing nut and slide it outward on the stem. Then wrap some cotton string around the stem. Slide the packing nut over the little gob of string and tighten it to the proper "feel".

Rook66

Seaman
Type in "Johnson 0300612" on e-bay and you'll find several of the shut off valves for your motor.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those valves can be repaired.----They were made in a different era.----Not a throwaway item.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
O-ring from hardware store has worked for me

Because of the way the handle is attached, it's next to impossible to get an o-ring onto the shaft. I tried stretching one around the handle once, but only succeeded in snapping the o-ring. Cotton string works fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Why would you have to stretch the o-ring around the handle ?----That valve comes apart.