Help please! Johnson FD-21R 67 20 hp.

Dawson130

Seaman
Pulled the flywheel off and replaced wires and plugs, cleaned contacts. Entire ignition system looks brand new. It is hard to start and when it is running the fuel smell is really rich and will only stay running in fast position. The odor is so strong within 30 seconds of running my eyes will start to burn because of the fuel. Is this just a carb adjustment? Any info is appreciated!! I

lindy46

Captain
How is compression? What have you done to the carb? If it has good compression and spark, I'd check the carb next. Probably needs cleaning/rebuilding.

Dawson130

Seaman
So should I just replace the fuel pump then. I haven’t messed with the carb at all

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I like the idea of inspection and testing.----If the bulb goes hard then the fuel pump may be OK.----But I am not there to guide you.----I would never rush out and buy a new pump without inspection.----It may just need a $5.00 diaphragm !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
may not apply in your case, but really, really old fuel smells really, really bad....

Think a 50:1 mix/ratio should be fine on your '67 (about 2 1/2 oz. per gallon). For the carb air/fuel mix, the idle needle initial setting is 1 1/2 open, and may run best on a leaner setting (clockwise). The high speed jet on the bottom needs to be squeaky clean.

Dawson130

Seaman
The only adjustment I see on the carb is the lean or rich adjustment on the front of the motor. Should I take the carb off and just try to clean it and inspect the bowl and such

Dawson130

Seaman
Also if I need to transport the motor is it ok to lay it on its side or not?

lindy46

Captain
If you take off the carb to clean it, I would get a rebuild kit and do the job right.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Confirm that it is running on two cylinders - if one cylinder isn't firing, then it'll dump its unburned fuel right in the drink...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are different pumps that will work / fit on your motor.---Nobody knows what pump you have.-----Post a picture of your pump.-----Even making / cutting a diaphragm is easy.