"New to me motor" Quick refresh in Scotland

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What a shame.------Need I say that I have seen that sort of damage more than once !-----Ask the previous owner what he did to cause that.-----You need to find out otherwise you will be doing it again next year !!

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
First what year is it???? Also looks like rust in exhaust port and cylinder wall looks washed but he piston looks like pre-ignition due to melted deflector. I myself would check exhaust deflector,divider and all gaskets for blow outs and cracks.Then the power pack/s would be replaced and timer base checked.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I asked the previous owner about this and he said he was positive the compression was within equal tolerance to each other otherwise he wouldn't have continued to do a few basic tests like swapping the power packs around etc to fix the misfire, but said that it ran fine at wide open throttle with no noticeable power loss.

So i am no further forward as to the cause, I will tear her down today and see if i can find the cause.
Good eye Faztbullet i will check that out once the backend is off.

The engine is a 1980 V4 140hp Crossflow model number J140TLCSA

Will get started on her and keep everyone posted.
Cheers Andy

interalian

Commander
Or the main jet in the carb for that cylinder has/had a partially blocked jet causing a lean condition which melted the piston top.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
He knew what he was selling !-----Rarely does a " good running " outboard of that age get sold because it is running fine.----That is my theory and has been proven time and time again.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Racerone yip i am almost certain he knew that when he sold it to me, but with all the knowledge you guys have I am in no doubt i will have a running motor by Sunday 10am GMT.

Fingers Crossed
Andy

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Lol this Sunday i have 3 days and 21 hours to have her running. Hopefully that is.
Minus the time the machine shop have her.

interalian

Commander
Haste makes waste. Certain jobs cannot be hurried but you can certainly move with alacrity if you choose.

A prime example is sealing the crank case halves. Must be done quickly and deliberately with no rests or distractions. Failure here shims the gap and kiss your bearings goodbye.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Your 100% correct on that one Anthony we have a saying here "more haste less speed"
I lost a day yesterday due to "Family Things"
But today is a fresh start Goals for today have the power head of and at the machine shop for first thing Friday morning..
Its 7.20 am GMT will keep you guys posted as thing progress.

Cheers Andy

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
No Racerone doing it my self. Stuck again by these power head bolts. Its not a salty dog but there are a couple that are well and truly stuck.
The heads a rusted so starting round. I will try hammering on a size smaller metric socket,If no joy i will have to drill in the adaptor plate to sort of cut them with the drill bit then lift the power head with the stumps(left from the power-head bolts in place)
I have tried a propane torch but no joy. I have tried the heat gun but still nothing
Do you have any other tricks to remove these ??

Andy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
How much did you pay for this ---" Needs CD / ignition repairs motor ".---Get some refund perhaps ?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
At to days exchange rate it cost me $615. I have all the parts but cant get these bolts out.
Will keep on bashing away. Even if it takes me all day and night.

No refunds bought it as Spares or repair
Andy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Is the lower unit good ?----- checked the gear oil ?----Looked at the water pump impeller to get an idea on how this motor was maintained.----Post some pictures of impeller / housing when you get it out.----Do you have a seal kit for this motor ?----

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Will do. Not checked to lower unit yet. I have a water pump kit and full set of gaskets.
By seals do you mean O'rings and crank seals ? If so yes i have them.
Got one more bolt out only 3 to go lol
I dont fancy drilling horizontal to break the bolts but if all else fails that my last option.

Andy

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Lower unit oil seals.----Be a shame to rebuild this motor in 3 days to also find out that lower unit needs lots of work.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Your right i should order them. The nearest place to me is in England. Just hope they do next day delivery.
Will keep you posted.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I can get them here but cost in the USA of the 2 outer seals $7.37 each. Here in the UK $29 each.