1972 Johnson 40hp no cooling water flow

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
?----I was not disputing the fact it is a 1967 model !! ?--- I just thought it would be better to have the model number, for ordering parts !!

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
RKL29 seems like a good guess. Need to remove the upper shroud — look for two wires running down to the gear case (knife connectors up by the powerhead — slide back the plastic tubes, if still in place). Wires slide out with the lower unit. A little lube doesn’t hurt, as I recall — and a wire to fish them back up when reinstalling. Been a while.

todd281

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just a note. if you do get into draining/topping off the low end make sure you replace the lube with the correct kind . Type C

Bstrong1402

Cadet
Thanks everyone. This is over my abilities. I am taking it in to a private repair shop.
Now I am trying to sort out the wiring. None of the light fixtures work, nor the horn.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
just a note. if you do get into draining/topping off the low end make sure you replace the lube with the correct kind . Type C

Just beware there are some brands being marketed as type C, but are not compatible with the Electric Shift, safest choice is BRP Precision Blend