Water pouring out shift connector link plate 1957 Evinrude 18 fastwin

mtweaver

Recruit
I have water coming out the plate that covers the shift link connector plate. I just put a new impeller kit in, is the water tube leaking at the water pump housing grommet or where is the water coming from, can someone shed some light? There should not be water in there should there?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Was the water tube installed in the upper grommet first ? .----Did water tube stay in the upper grommet when lower unit came off ??-----Replace the gasket on the cover.----Normal for water to be there !

mtweaver

Recruit
Yes the water tube stayed in the top grommet. I put a new sierra grommet in the bottom and it DID NOT fit properly, the little ears on the grommet would not go in the holes right. I just thought the water tube did not slide all the way in the grommet. It is pumping water out the back GREAT....never seen one of these old engines pump so much water so it is getting LOTS of water.Engine staying VERY cool, I just wasn't aware there was so much water in that housing. Thank you for your response.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
How does so much water get in that housing and up that high?

The water goes to the powerhead first, then exits the powerhead to spray heavily inside that long exhaust housing and out through the exit just above the propeller. This cools that long housing.... without that water, the paint would burn off quite quickly!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes it is better to use factory parts like grommets.----My opinion is---Some after market suppliers do not have proper quality control !!

mtweaver

Recruit
Ok I wasn't aware so much water was sprayed in that housing, but I suppose it would have to be cooled. It must be pumping a GREAT amount of water anyway...heavy stream out the hole at the back so that is good. As for the grommet you are right I will by better quality from now on. Not the first Sierra problem I had...slow learner I guess. Thank You!

lindy46

Captain
That is why you install an o-ring at the top of the driveshaft - to keep water from getting up into the crank.