1994 Evinrude 30 HP not running right. Need help

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
The boat has been sitting since 2013. After I brought it home I put in new fuel and took the carburetor off and cleaned it. It had small pieces of black trash in the bowl. The inside of the fuel lines had deteriorated. I put on new fuel lines and cleaned the spark plugs. It ran good sitting in the driveway. I took it to the lake. It did not want to idle. I was finally able to get it to go into gear without dying. It ran good at half and full throttle. I brought it back home. I found no spark on the bottom cylinder. I took the coils off and cleaned the grounds on the coil and block. Both cylinders show good spark. It is crossing the 3/8 to ½” air gap on the tester. I also checked to see that I am getting fuel. I took the cover off the fuel pump. The screen is clean and I am getting fuel when I squeeze the bulb. I am getting fuel the the primer valve when cranking the motor. Now it does not idle or run well. Do you know what the problem might be? BTW, On the driveway the other day and at the lake, there was a good stream of water coming from the tell tale. It is cool today. Around 50 degrees. I guess the thermostat did not open while it was running on the driveway. Please look at the videos I put on youtube.

https://youtu.be/ouYOeXaiKbM (At idle)

https://youtu.be/-lBpMSyC6Nc (Above idle)

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
you need to service the waterpump! If that carb has a low speed adjustment try opening it another 1\8 of a turn. You sound like you have a lean sneeze or a cylinder not working. Try a cylinder drop test.

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
After searching I have not found the initial idle mixture screw adjustment. I have read 1 1/2 turns out to 2 1/2 turns. I have a Seloc manual. Not much help. I have ordered the OEM manual. It will be here in a few days. It is going to warm up this afternoon and I plan to check a few things. Do you know the setting for this motor? I have this carburetor.

Attachments

• photo285505.jpg
    photo285505.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo285506.jpg
    photo285506.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The idle mix screw is clearly in the pic. Since you don't know what it is i would have to question how well you cleaned the carb. That should have been removed for cleaning.

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
The idle mix screw is clearly in the pic. Since you don't know what it is i would have to question how well you cleaned the carb. That should have been removed for cleaning.

Yes, I know that is the screw. What is the initial adjustment? I did remove it. I cleaned all the passages with carb cleaner in an aerosol can. The compression on both cylinders reads 135 psi.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
1.5 turns out from lightly seated will get you started. Final adjustment on that screw will be done after the motor is warm. The turns out are a suggestion only that's why when you remove that screw you count the turns.

Last edited:

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
I messed the idle screw and it idles much better. I idles best at 1 ¼ turns out. Now it is not running well when throttled up. I drained the carburetor bowl and found more black trash. I did not change 1 of the fuel hoses when I did the rest of them a few days ago. I didn’t have enough hose. It looked fine when I checked it but it was bad on the inside further down where I could not see. All new fuel hoses now. I cleaned the carburetor again. Now when it is running at ¼ throttle, it sounds like a lawn mower that is bumping up against a governor. I doesn’t do it all of the time. I attached a link to another youtube video. Do you know what the problem is?

https://youtu.be/5pDddwG6hHs

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
1.5 turns out from lightly seated will get you started. Final adjustment on that screw will be done after the motor is warm. The turns out are a suggestion only that's why when you remove that screw you count the turns.

Thanks flyingscott

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You cannot make adjustments with the motor on the muffs! STOP Over-revving the motor On The Muffs, It is causing The misfire you are hearing. I can almost guarantee that adjustment will not work on the lake. All Adjustments Need To Be Made On The lake with a warm motor.

LJackson61

Seaman Apprentice
I got some new parts in. I installed 2 new coils and spark plug wires. It was running better after I cleaned the ground surfaces but the epoxy on the back of the coils was separating from the case. 1 had a crack and chip in the back. I also installed a new water pump kit. It is running like a sewing machine now. Maybe going to the lake for a test drive tomorrow. Thanks to all that offered help.