1991 Johnson 150 HP TJ 150 SLEIE Driveshaft removal.

w2much

Lieutenant
On this two part drive shaft can I just break the pin holding the two parts of the shaft together? By yanking, banging or otherwise? I was told to do so on a different motor, my 1995 150 EXEOM, last year and it worked fine. I need to install a new set of lower unit seals and a water intake screen FYI. Thanks.

w2much

Lieutenant
That is indeed good news. I forgot to mention that I am also going to replace the water intake screen.Can this also be done with out removing the drive shaft?

w2much

Lieutenant
And what about that bolt under the carb to release the shift shaft. That nut took me about 2 hours to get out. The lower unit then took 10 minutes.. Parts came today ,look forward to getting it done.

w2much

Lieutenant
Well I did not get it done. I believe I found where the water is getting into the lu from. It appears it is coming in through the shift cover assembly. It may or not be the original lower unit. I do not know if it is a type 1 or type two assembly. I have a Sealoc manual which shows both lower units side by side. Mine seems to be a type 1 judging from the cover assembly for the shift shaft. On this type of assembly it shows both a gasket and a O ring underneath the brass bushing of the cover assembly. I have removed the O ring the thick donut O ring but I am uncertain there is or was a gasket in there also. Does the brass bushing come out with heat . It would be the only way to get a gasket in there. I have a Sierra lower unit seal kit which has a gasket I am unsure of where it goes . It certainly would fit under the brass bushing along with the O ring. Any advice here.