Installing tach for johnson

Qrzed

Seaman Apprentice
few months back I piurchased an16 ft Starcraft ss it came with a running Johnson 60hp model J60ELCCR I don't recall there being a tach in the dash is this something I can add and where would I be able to get instructions on installing one. Would like to make sure it is running as best she can. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Instructions come with the tach. DO NOT buy one for a car. You can buy a tach right here on Iboats. Click the SHOP button at the top of the page. A tach will not verify the engine is running as well as it can. It counts engine revolutions. It is useful for getting proper engine height and prop optimization but other than setting idle speed and ensuring you don't over-rev the engine it is not a real diagnostic tool for engine "condition".

Qrzed

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks Silvertip I just want to make sure that all those things you listed were done corectly. Based on some of the things done to the boat just make me say hmmmmmm. Wiring issues proper fluid changing and the likes I do appreciate all the feed back from everyone on here as I am new to boating. But don't think getting this boat to looking sweet will be that hard gots lots of great ideas from some pretty cool folks on here. So thanks to Iboats I am moving forward !!!!!