76 115 Evinrude opinions

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
I've never had a Evinrude much less a 76 year..I've googled and can't find any info on relibiability or anything.Another question,from what I can tell the 76 was originally a green colored engine?This one is black.Makes me wonder if someone switched id# plates?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can't speak so much to the 76 115's, but in general (I'm sure you know... ), you'd want to do a compression test, spark test, and run it if possible before you buy...

As for the color.....
Eh... Maybe it got switched out to another transom bracket, but I'd probably lean more toward somebody painted it..
Can't count how many engines in my area have been painted outside of what they were, but are actually the engine the plate says it is.
Do you see evidence of the original color anywhere? (inside cowling etc... )

Is the wiring harness in good shape? No major hacks in the wiring?

I'd probably get the model number, and look up the parts and features the model number SHOULD have, and compare to what this engine actually has.
Also look for any discs the size of a quarter and see if there's matching model number on it.. (Not sure if there is on a 76 though.. :noidea:)

I'm sure the others here will be of more help. :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those had issues with piston rings breaking on high hr motors.----Center crank bearing is not as big as post 79 models.-----Other than that they are a reliable / simple to maintain motor.----It does have 4 coils across the back on a bracket ?

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
Here's a pic,I've verified it's been painted.It IS a 76 115 v4.Checked compression cold and got 130,135,135,140.A mechanic owned this boat when engine was installed,was it rebuilt?I have no idea ..Hope it ends up being reliable.If not,I'm gonna rebuild.it.Anyone had this year?Previous poster says their reliable ,anyone else.Thanks

Attachments

• photo285109.png
    photo285109.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looks like it might have the power trim

If the engine was well maintained, the chances of it being a reliable engine are better than if it was neglected. It is a 42 yr old motor, the most likely part(s) to fail will be in the ignition system, and the gearcase. It has the Hydro-Mechanical shift. The oil has to be the correct type and it has to be clean and waterfree.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
its a 42+ year old outboard motor

it may run forever, it may run a month

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like it might have the power trim

If the engine was well maintained, the chances of it being a reliable engine are better than if it was neglected. It is a 42 yr old motor, the most likely part(s) to fail will be in the ignition system, and the gearcase. It has the Hydro-Mechanical shift. The oil has to be the correct type and it has to be clean and waterfree.

I ran it today and it ran flawlessly ..My mechanic friend said the lower end is the hydro shift,he said if it's shifting fine I'm ok,if it starts acting up,,you can't find replacement parts anymore.I don't like that at all..He did say they last forever though if maintained.I wonder what my options would be if the lower starts acting up?

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Edit: Disregard this post of mine..... as pointed out, the shifting is NOT the same nor "similar" to what I thought when I wrote this. :doh:
Leaving this intact though, so thread flow still makes sense.

If you use the right gear oil, and water stays out of it, then it shouldn't be too much of a worry.
There are ways to "Refurb" it a bit if it ever slips without necessarily needing new parts... They can be hard to find though (but not impossible) if a new part is absolutely necessary..

I think more often than not, if there's an issue going into gear, it's wiring or the switch that's needs attention and usually nothing in the lower itself needs to be touched... (Again, usually, but not always...)

At least that's what I've learned with my '71 50 hp with Hydro-Electric shift...
Yours is a little different than mine, but similar enough that I believe the above holds true on yours as well...

My $0.02 :)

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
JBUOTE----This motor is NOT electric shift as you assume.------It is mechanical shift with oil pressure assist through a servo unit.----No wires involved at all.------East to find parts if you know where to look.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It has the Hydro-Mechanical shift. The oil has to be the correct type and it has to be clean and waterfree.

Yup! I misread this above.....
Disregard my previous, as I was mistaken

My apologies...

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
JBUOTE----This motor is NOT electric shift as you assume.------It is mechanical shift with oil pressure assist through a servo unit.----No wires involved at all.------East to find parts if you know where to look.

Please do tell ! May just rebuild all of it..I've searched and searched ,what lower end oil don't use??

racerone

Supreme Mariner
It is NOT electric shift and BRP dealers carry gear oil.----Use ----hi-vis---labeled gear oil.

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
Would it hurt to run mystic marine lower unit oil?where I live there isn't any places to get hivis or hpf pro.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
NO!

Buy the right oil online and pick it up at Wally World. Don't use the wrong oil or all the given advice flies out the window.

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
Just curious ,why?From what I've read the older electric shift ones required special oil?Thanks again,I've been looking ALOT and haven't found out much .

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Look at the size of the lower unit ----Now look at the size of the rear end on your pick-up truck.-----Outboard lower units are hard working items.-----Put in the best / recommended oil !!!

Lit549

Seaman Apprentice
Oh I agree 100%,I'm just curious why Evinrudes 90 weight?Also I'm not familiar with a hydro-mechanical shift ,is there something in there oil that is made especially for this "hydro-mechanical" setup or is more of just a viscosity issue?I'm going to order one of the 2,Hi-Vis or Hpf-pro.I just want the best ,dam sure don't wanna screw it up.When I drained oil it was green?Anyways,thanks again