1950 Evinrude 7.5 HP

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Hello all, I've been restoring an old 1950. Is it possible to soldier new sparkplug leads onto the old coils? My coils are fine but the plug wire are in sad shape. Thanks!

F_R

Supreme Mariner
YES, the wires come separately and are soldered to the coils. Easy, if you know how to solder. But this is not a good place to learn. As you suspect, you can damage the coils if not done properly.

You are indeed fortunate if the coils are still good. That motor has the obsolete 580040 coils that were prone to failure and are $$$ if you can find new ones.

kbh121956

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks again F_R! I used to work with electronics soldering circuit boards. I also have a spare set of the coils. Any way to test them with a VOM meter?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sure, check resistance between the spark plug wire solder joint and the ground wire. That is the secondary winding. Should be a few k-ohms, like around 4. Don't get all hung up on exact numbers. This is only a crude test, and does not test it under high voltage conditions. If they are all cracked, dried up, leaky, or mooshy, they will probably fail.

You will have no problem with that soldering job.

Tom Burke

Recruit
YES, the wires come separately and are soldered to the coils. Easy, if you know how to solder. But this is not a good place to learn. As you suspect, you can damage the coils if not done properly.

You are indeed fortunate if the coils are still good. That motor has the obsolete 580040 coils that were prone to failure and are $$$ if you can find new ones.
Hello KBH. I have a 1950 fleetwin7.5. The coils are definitely bad. Which coil should I retrofit to the old motor? Do you have any idea of the number on the newer ones.? Thankyou.