Tagged’s 140 Johnson Resurrection

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah you can use washer basically you can use any hose you want. All it is doing is confirming that your water pump is doing its job.
Cheers Andy

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok guys, 2 carb kits are on order.

Who can can tell me more about how to remove the metal plates inside the carb?

the manual says to drill through the plate, not more than 1/8” deeper than the plate’s thickness, and pry it out.

Where do you drill?

without knowing what’s behind the plate, I’m nervous about drilling.

Tag

oldrem

Commander
Should be an air space 3/8" to 1/2" deep. I just used a small screw driver and hammer to pierce mine and pried them out. Very easy.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That sounds easier than the manual. How did you put the new ones back in?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
NO,NO----The are domed and when you use a flat punch they spread / jam / seal when they are flattened.----Elegantly simple as already stated.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
RacerOne, I respect your experience, but I can't understand what you're saying. Do you mean that the plug will slip into place before you flatten the dome, and that flattening the dome expands the plug to seal it? If I understand that correctly, then you're right: elegantly simple.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes-------- hopefully your motor will perform properly after the carburetor work.-----Hate to see this go to 250 posts !

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Tagged I just bought an 83 johnson 140 will be doing a restore like you. Finally replacing that 85 hp force.
I am realgun but cant seem to get the account back. Look up project Long Haul. Yup Long Haul! I'm BACK!~

Where can i find your project ???

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, it’s still not right.

I thoroughly cleaned the carbs, and installed the carb kits. I was unable to locate the correct size fuel lines locally, so none of them have been replaced. Engine still wouldn’t turn above 4000 rpm. A few weeks ago it was turning above 5500rpm.

Ignition on testing revealed no spark on the port bank, and a failed #4 (also portside) coil. Installed new power pack and coil.

Performance improved, 4800 rpm, but still runs very rough, and occasionally dies at idle.

Lots of other electrical testing done. I'm confident-ish that the ignition system is good.

Adjusted the throttle per link-and-sync procedure. No change in top end. Idling was worse.

Slow out of the hole, and loss of top end. Rough running at almost all throttle positions. Still sounds like fuel restriction to me.

I think I'm back to carbs and fuel lines. What else?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Can you post a video of how it runs ???
Have you done the link & sync by the book ?
When it runs rough can you pump the fuel bulb and see if that makes a difference.
There is a high voltage that you can check if you have the correct meter.
Direct Voltage (Peak Voltage) Adapter for testing CDI ignition
Dangar Stu made one heres the link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juhri_NxQcQ

Worth while checking it out.

Are you running the correct mix with the fuel ???

Andy

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I did the link and sync this morning, no change. The fuel mix is correct at 50:1. I haven’t tried pumping the bulb.

Ill try try to capture a video the next time I run it, but that will be at least a couple of weeks from now.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm back!

Okay, I never really left. I just haven't been working on the boat. Today I did, and I can give a good report. Solved, but not fixed. That's the current status. I know what's wrong, but I can't fix it until the parts come in.

After doing the Link-and-sync above, the butterflies were finally opening all the way, and I picked up a few more RPM, but it was still deadly-slow out of the hole, and I could tell it had a persistent misfire. It just ran rough. This evening I ran to town to get the right kind of spark checker (please tell everyone not to waste their money on the flashing-light-in-a-tube style spark checker). I set it to a half and inch and went outside to watch for sparks in the twilight.

Turns out, I didn't need the new spark tester, I just needed the twilight. Once I fired up the motor in the near dark, It was clear that the number one coil was bad. As soon as the coil got warm, it started arcing and sparking from the body of the coil to the block. The spark was obvious in the twilight. Even while dodging mosquitoes. Once it started arcing there, it stopped arcing across the spark tester. Which means, I suppose, that it also stops firing the cylinder when it's sparking to the block.

New coil on order. Can't wait to get it installed!

Tag

(I'm celebrating by adding a slice of tomato to my bologna sandwich. It's the little things, right?)

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
(I'm celebrating by adding a slice of tomato to my bologna sandwich. It's the little things, right?)

I had to google what that was. If i ever make it across to the US i will for sure not be having one of those lol
But each to there own.
Hope you enjoyed buddy

Cheers Andy