Tagged’s 140 Johnson Resurrection

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It was a good day today. I got the broken bolt out without much protest, just vice-grips around the broken shaft after a week of daily soakings with penetrating oil.

Then I chased all threads with bottoming taps. That took most of the day. But it will pay off the next time I have to pull this thing apart.

Installed the new impeller and remounted the lower unit.

Yep, that’s a whole day of work.

Attachments

• photo283859.jpg
    photo283859.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo283860.jpg
    photo283860.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I also confirmed that the overheat warning system works.

Probably the the most important step of this resurrection.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I also confirmed that the overheat warning system works.

Probably the the most important step of this resurrection.

Well some may argue over what im going to say but this is just my opinion and what i am doing to my 38 year old V4.
When you hear over heat warning its too late the engine has overheated the damage is done.

I will be fitting two temp gauges to my build. One for each side. You have the water cooling one bank then going through the T/Stats and on to the next.
They are cheap to buy and easy to install.
By having these fitted you get an early warning that some thing is wrong and your motor is heating up too the point of destruction ( you will only know when it has surpassed this critical temp if you only use the over heat buzzer) giving you time to lower the engine temp and head to shore.
My engine will be like new when its done, but it will still have 38 year old passages in it.
OK they may have been cleaned out and flushed to the best of my ability, but no getting round that they are 38 year old unfortunately.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Spy,------ I think cooling water goes through the thermostats just before it is dumped into the exhaust.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think that adding a temp gauge is a good idea, but unnecessary. I added one to my 1973 65hp Evinrude, because I didn’t know how the system worked, and how easy it is to check. That engine ran so cool that the added gauge hardly registered. It wasn’t worth the trouble.

The sensors on this motor close before water boils, somewhere around 190 degrees.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Spy,------ I think cooling water goes through the thermostats just before it is dumped into the exhaust.

Got the flow diagram arrows mixed up lol my bad
They are as you say Racerone just before it goes out the exhaust

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Andy-

You’ll still need two gauges if you want to see a temperature spike before the alarm goes off. And having two gauges will definitely help diagnose which bank is setting off the alarm.

Is there a mounting spot for the sensor? Or are you going to replace the overheat alarm sensor with your gauge sensor?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
I have the sensor and two gauges already to be fitted.
There are two places the sensors can be fitted. ! is touching the water cover jacket using a z bracket
The sensor would touch the flat spot (the one that has the cylinder on it) This could be attached to the water jacket / head bolts. Pic one shows possible attachment place.

Or Where my install will be. For this i will drill and tap a 1/8 hole for the sensor on top of each cylinder. With drilling at the top i will have the best chance of getting a true reading for the gauges.

Attachments

• photo283924.jpg
    photo283924.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo283925.jpg
    photo283925.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 0

interalian

Commander
I drilled and tapped 1/8" NPT holes at the top of each cylinder head water cover for thermo senders. Also put the same size right next to them and fitted a water elbow. I have twin pissers. The thermo senders go to a SPDT switch then to one gauge. I usually run with the switch on the STBD head as it's higher and would overheat first IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2WBqUFurko&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, Gents, the gaskets are in, the carbs are clean, the impeller is new, and it’s throwing a spark. Not many excuses left.

I’m ready to try to start it tomorrow.

Wish me luck.

edit: BTW, Permatex No. 2 is nasty stuff.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bam!

once I solved a fuel system leak, it started and idled like a champ. I have a video on my phone, if I can figure out to convert it to .gif, I’ll post it.

Next question, fuel hose clamps.

How do I make zip ties work as hose clamps? Clearly I’m doing it wrong, because all 3 I put in leaked.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hrmmmm. Gifs don’t have sound, do they. That wouldn’t be very useful. Ideas for posting videos?

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds good Well done
The cable ties should be fitted using a cable tie gun
Just google "cable tie gun"
Then you will get a list of local suppliers or on ebay
They stretch and cut the cable tie
They are around £20 over here
Andy

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Mounted the motor on the boat today, using the controls that were already installed.

But the wiring is a mess belowdecks. So even though this looks good today, I’ll be reworking it tomorrow

Attachments

• photo284162.jpg
    photo284162.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I would guess about 5 1/2 inches setback and about 4 1/2 inches higher on the transom?

Monterey Dreams

Chief Petty Officer
It always feels to me, like your project takes a huge step forward when you hang a new (ish) outboard motor on. Even though the wiring is a mess and the steering is not connected etc.

Congrats on that step.

Tagged

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good eyes, Jimmbo. There’s a CMC jackplate hiding in that picture. Both the motor and the jackplate are mounted in their highest holes. then the plate can lift the motor about six inches up from this position.

All of that, and an 8” deep tunnel, means it can run very shallow.

spybot

Chief Petty Officer
Tag at least you have the motor running and mounted. The finishing touches can take as long or as short a time as you wish. But i know i will never finish tweaking my boat set up. To be honest i think a lot of us will never quite be finished.
You have done well from getting the engine of craigslist. Doing all the work within a month
Good going buddy