kill switch

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
i have the 16.5 bass tracker i'm wanting to put a kill switch mounted in the console my question is does the kill switch connect directly to the ignition switch i'm not sure how this hooks up thanks for any help

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A kill switch would go on the 2 ----M terminals----On the ignition switch.----Circuit closes to stop the motor.

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
racerone are you there
? we spoke about the kill switchyou said to hook to m terminal on the ignition side of the switch what terminal does it come off of the kill switch 2 says m two says c thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???------There are 2 terminals with ----M----Therefore you use both of them !

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
racerone i hooked to m term on kill switch side to m term on switch side it want start

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
i hooked to both m on switch and both m's on kill switch it will start but it want kill engine when i pull the the lanynard off

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I give up, I do not understand why folks have so much trouble when wires are attached to something !

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Not a pro by any means, but will take a stab here...

You're adding an external kill switch on console, so it's not built into the ignition switch correct?

If so,
Without the kill switch (as originally wired, and was working), you have wires on each of the M terminals on your ignition switch..
This shuts off the engine when you turn the key to off right? And it'll start up just fine too right?

Now, ADD one wire from kill switch to one M terminal on the ignition switch. (Don't remove existing wire, just add this one.)
Next, ADD the other wire from kill switch to the other M terminal on the ignition switch.. (Again, don't remove existing wire, just add this one...

With lanyard in place, should start and run, then turn off when key is off Yes?
Now..
Start engine, then pull lanyard...
Engine dies....

Really should be that simple if I understand what you're trying to do here...

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
i found out that one of the wires coming off the m terminal of the kill switch has to go to ground in order for it to work

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
thank you jbuote i'm adding the kill switch to the concole one wasn't there before this is how it had to be hooked up to work wire coming from kill switch terminal m goes to terminal m on ingination switch the other m terminal on kill switch went to my ground on my fuse panel now it works like it should thanks for the info

wil141

Seaman Apprentice
thanks for the help racerone but you really need to take a chill pill what you told me wasn't correct

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yup.. how you did it works too...
Basically, you have to ground the ignition on that engine to kill it..,

Your ignition switch has 1 wire coming in from engine to 1 M terminal, then the other ignition switch M terminal goes to ground..,
So, by either using both M terminals to connect to your kill switch, OR by putting one end of kill switch to ground, and the other to the M terminal the engine wire comes in on, does the same thing.. .

Pretty much what racerone was trying to tell you..

Glad you got it working!
Have fun with it!!!

Mudwiser

Recruit
Racerone there's no reason to be rude. Not all people can read something and picture what has been read. Some people like me learn or understand how things need to be done with diagrams. Other wise know as pictures!
now! Thanks for the inputs. It answers some of my questions!