Need help please...

Crosbyman

Rear Admiral
I did find that my battery ground wire needed to be fixed because the insulated rubber was worn so i wrapped it with electrical tape.

​"ground wires" insulated or not do not affect electrical continuity or functionality ... they just pose a short circuit risk in case any... live wires or component touch it ...

​ that said , adding layers of electrical tape does nothing to solve your problem... it just points to a great lack of basic knowledge in electrical principals and application which you need to learn

​ I think you summarized the whole issue...... "Luck is not what I need." you need cash to get someone to fix your problem

​someone who paid to learn and spend years improving upon his knowledge to fix things for those that can't learn even with patient coaching

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you for that,sure it is something simple. Just for the record on the post of Reeves I have better thing to do than to sit here and deal with mechanics over boat questions, life is to short for that.i am just trying to get my boat back in the water.You seem to think I have time for that who would? Just looking for ways to troubleshoot this problem and I was not able to even get to that . You seem to think there is a wire between the pulse pack and the switch and I stated that the purple wire from the power pack goes to the voltage regulator. The power pack is not hooked to the key switch. The key switch is as I stated. Nothing in between. No jumper wires anywhere if that is what you are referring to again not sure but with no explanation I won't know.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, one last time. The wiring diagram I posted shows the wire (and the vacuum switch & voltage suppressor). You can do without the vacuum switch & suppressor, but you certainly need the wire. So do it already. Sheesh!

EDIT: Actually, the vacuum switch is not on the diagram for some reason. But it will run without it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well according to the wiring diagram, there is a wire that goes from the power pack to the key switch. If yours is missing... You have stated it is not wired as per spec, but then refuse to rewire it, but still repost it is not working right. WTF?
If you can't read a diagram and/or trace wires, not all people can, find someone who can. Troubleshooting by info from a text is something a lot of people on this board are very good at, but when suggestions are ignored and it keeps coming back to square one over and over again...

Willyclay

Captain
I have the Johnson version of the 100HP model with that first-gen CD ignition. Over ten years ago, Joe Reeves informed me that OMC changed suppliers for wiring harnesses in 1968 and the long-term effects were lots of issues with badly deteriorated and/or missing insulation. Mine has that problem and you already found what may be the "tip of an iceberg" with one ground wire. I recommend you closely inspect the complete wiring harness for faults. Good luck!

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
As a comment, I don't think OMC envisioned those engines still being around 50 yrs later. In the 60s and 70s there were hardly any 30 or 40 yr old engines, let alone ones 50 yrs old

Doinit

Seaman Apprentice
I think it is cool to be able to have a vintage boat as well as a vintage engine. They are both from 1968. The starter casing cracked apart yesterday when I was working on it,so while I wait for the part I am gonna go back thru the good info sent to me and work on the problem not much more to say about it, The answer is there just have to do it..

I'm having a bit of trouble following what you are saying. But I'm suspecting a bad safety switch. Or out of adjustment one. OR perhaps it is just doing its job, which is to prevent starting at high throttle settings. Try backing off on the throttle.

OK, having said all that, the FIRST thing you should do is make sure the battery is good. The second thing you should do is make sure the battery cable connections are clean and tight. Don't just look at them, remove and clean them shiny bright and reassemble tightly. This is just good practice.

If you still have trouble, use a meter to check the circuit, using the wiring diagram. Here ya go----

Are you getting voltage on the other side of the solenoid when key is turned, I'm new here