1991 Evinrude 150 Alarm

The Kraken

Recruit
Working on a motor that has been sitting 10 years. i?ve cleaned everything, thermostats, new impeller, carbs. It starts and pees well, heads do not run hot. However, after about two minutes of running, I get an alarm on and off about every second. The VRO tank is over half full. I?ve used two separate portable tanks, get the same alarm. Not sure where to go from here. If It was the VRO, if I simply disconnected the VRO electronics, should the beeps just stop? I don?t want to mess it up. Lots of oil seems to be coming out of the prop, so maybe it is VRO?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
If it was the fuel pump, how would I know?

As noted below, A beep every other second indicates no oil at the VRO.... If you apply some pressure to the oil primer bulb, the alarm should shut off, at least until the problem occurs again. Perhaps there is air in the line and the VRO simply requires priming... also below.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.
(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.