Seal puller help please.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I look to be purchasing my 15th outboard in the past year- these old things are addictive - and was wondering if my current seal puller will work. I have the one for 18-35hp from richards outboard tools and wanted to make sure it would work on a 1998 evinrude 25 (two cylinder). The seal in this potential purchase is obviously bad. Thanks!

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is quite a bit of two stroke oily residue coming from under the flywheel coating the top of the motor and the top sparkplug is running lean, while the bottom one is rich. (Single carb model). I'm buying it as a non running motor, so I couldn't diagnose further. Although unrelated, It does have 110psi in both cylinders.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Will do, but it will difinately need replacing and if I didn't have the tool and had to purchase one, I probably couldn't justify the purchase as I know there are other issues I will have to resolve to get it running.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Bearing might be bad, which would mean it has to come apart to replace seal AND bearing. And crankshaft also. Let's hope you are getting it cheap.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
What you do is put a little oil on that seal.----If it does not drain into the crankcase then likely that seal is good.-----Rarely see those seals fail.-----Today these seals are well made !!

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks racerone. I wouldn't be able to check that until I buy it as I would have to remove the flywheel. The post above yours has me a little worried, have you seen these bearings go bad? I would think that would be pretty uncommon unless it went under water, which I doubt this one has.

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was planning on buying it tonight. I will check it over closer, maybe bring a endoscope. Any suggestions what could cause the soot? Leaky exhaust??

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Thanks racerone. I wouldn't be able to check that until I buy it as I would have to remove the flywheel. The post above yours has me a little worried, have you seen these bearings go bad? I would think that would be pretty uncommon unless it went under water, which I doubt this one has.

Uncommon?? Sure. But so is a leaking seal. Grab hold of the flywheel (not running, duh) and see if you can move it fore and aft. Any more than microscopic movement is concern.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Of course, we are simply going by what you told us concerning a possible leaking seal. It might be something completely different. A blown exhaust cover gasket comes to mind. That would blow all kind of nasty smoke and oil all over everything.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
We are trying to tell you not to jump to conclusions !------I read a book once ---Outboard trouble shooting 101----- Now it seems they did not print many copies of it.-----This could be as simple as a leak on the oil recirc line.------Look at the motor first !!!!!

Daveparm

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One of the great things about this forum is the experts are wise enough to knock you on the head before you go in a whole new (wrong) tangent:)