2009 Evinrude E-Tec 250 HP runs fine, propeller won't engage. Not a spun propellor hub

BigWill99

Recruit
2009 Evinrude E-Tec 250 HP runs fine, propeller won't engage. Not a spun propellor hub

2009 Evinrude E-Tec 250 HP. Was running down the lake at about 65 mph when it felt like I hit a stump. All power to throttle was lost, I shut it down and put it in neutral.Engine started back fine, put it in gear and the Engine will rev and sound normal, but the propeller won't engage. I thought it was an easy fix just a spun hub, but upon further inspection, there was no damage to prop, scag, boat, or the propeller hub. So maybe I didn't even hit something. No idea what to look for now. I can spin the prop by hand when the Engine is off and in forward or reverse, but there is some grinding and it takes some effort to spin it. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Was it pumping water after the incident? If not, you probably have a broken drive shaft. But if it was pumping water, then it could be anything in the lower unit.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Broke driveshaft at pinion bearing......common problem with Etec motors with hot foots

thatone123

Banned
I have this same engine I bought with 2 disassembled lower units, Seller said it was a dealer scam to pay them to put back together for big bucks and the seller just told them to shove it. Nothing appears wrong with them. I am wondering what kind of job, how hard to put back together? or should I sell them on e-bay? Will sell the powerheads also. From reading the manuals they make a big deal about pinion shimming but the shims are still on there and none of the seals are bad. so I am hoping I can just put them back together hoping I don't need a 10 ton press to do the job as stated in manual.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have this same engine I bought with 2 disassembled lower units, Seller said it was a dealer scam to pay them to put back together for big bucks and the seller just told them to shove it. Nothing appears wrong with them. I am wondering what kind of job, how hard to put back together? or should I sell them on e-bay? Will sell the powerheads also. From reading the manuals they make a big deal about pinion shimming but the shims are still on there and none of the seals are bad. so I am hoping I can just put them back together hoping I don't need a 10 ton press to do the job as stated in manual.

This is hijacking the OP's thread and the post is off topic. Use your thread.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
SEI makes replacement gearcases for popular OBs and sterndrives. You might check out the SEI website. They may make a replacement gearcase for your motor. You will likely need your upper driveshaft (provided you have the 2 piece style).

BigWill99

Recruit
?---And where is the leak ?---Any pictures.

​Took it to my dads house to store it. The leak was on the very bottom of lower unit in front of scag. there was a hole there but it wasn't where you drain the lower unit oil from. the hole was smaller than a pencil and looked like it was there for a reason, not something from the impact.

thatone123

Banned
I've been having my own tribulations with this same outboard lately. I don't know what your problems are...or mine either, but maybe this can help from my research. The early lower unit were problematic and weak compared to the later L-2 and especially the heavy duty M-2 gear sets and cases. I have the M-2 I'm pretty sure, but the cosmetic differences between them is not a lot to see or tell. Rebuilds or new are very expensive. With the early ones it does not take a lot to damage them, even a hot or lead foot had been the undoing of many. Know this is sketchy, but maybe it will help a little. The inside of outboard gear cases are simple but some complexity also and they must be put together with care and organization if taken apart. Many do not change gear oil often enough, even on the big expensive models.