2004 Johnson 150 HP -lower rubber mount removal problems

Hello everyone, I have a new to me sea hunt with a 2004, 150 HP Johnson. One lower mount bracket cover was broken when I bought it. I finally got a replacement cover today and when I removed the old one the rubber mount it covers has serious corrosion and is somewhat mangled, so I started to remove it. I am having a heck of a time getting it out. I have used a screw driver, drill, chisel...you name it. It is slow going. Any suggestions? Also, is the lower rubber mount simply a metal piece with a rubber coating? There's also a metal rod in the center, is that part of the rubber mount as well and will come out too? Thanks for any help. I have searched the internet and haven't found anything on this other than it can be a big pain!

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Look on the side of that mount. You'll find two places to drill holes in the mount to run a I/2 " std tap in. Tap those out and run two bolts in until they hit the exhaust housing. Keep going with the bolts and they will work the mount out. Must have long threaded bolts such as motor mount bolts.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Use your imagination as to where to drill the holes as long as they are in the metal part of the mount.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Boobie...that's a good trick....I went with brute force and patience JUST LIKE the OP....PITA if you don't know the trick.

where do you drill? rubber Mounts.jpg

Thanks Boobie and SweetD! Drill and tap holes trick worked. I was a little concerned that I might run the bolt through the housing cranking on it so hard, but it didn't and it finally popped free. Shocking how difficult those are to remove. I'll try to post some pics at some point.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Yes, post some pics. I'd like to see them. Glad my old trick worked.