2009 Evinrude 250 E-Tec counter rotating

thatone123

Banned
I have acquired a pair of E-tec 250's. Seller sez a dealer pulled a scam whereas they dissemble the lower units telling the owner that something is wrong and they need to be rebuilt. The owner said ziss off and tool them home in boxes. All the motors went into the shop for was a scheduled E-tec service. I notice that the starboard counter rotation engine has a 2 piece prop shaft. Is this part of the counter rotation mechanism or does it have nothing to do with the engine counter rotating? Thinking since I did not take these apart, I am not inclined to put them back together but sure could sell them for more. Most likely need special tools I'm told too.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
The best thing you could do is get a FACTORY service manual and then try to work on them

thatone123

Banned
Yes, I understand that, but was asking a few questions before I delve into that. Counter rotation seems to be built into the lower unit. On a scale of 1-10 how would this job of putting the lower unit back together be. I have replaced seals in a number of smaller OMC units. Any bites on this one>?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The parts are bigger.----Other than that not much different in the procedure to work on them.-----I am sure you can handle this task !

thatone123

Banned
Do you recommend any kind of Gel seal for gaskets and etc. The manual makes a big deal about using various sealants that are not available locally.

thatone123

Banned
No Title

Raceone...thanks for the vote of confidence, I need it! Here are the gear sets. Standard rotation in the background. The counter rotation set in the foreground is giving me a hard time. It seems the front gear, the big set that is pre-assembled and also the other gear do not fit snug on the shaft. ??? Very confusing as the standard rotation set is snug. There seems to be no wear of any kind, but a lot of play? Also there are 25 loose roller bearing that go into the shift mechanism. On both motors there are about 20 or so (did not count them) same diameter roller bearings that for the life of me, I can't figure out where they go. I bought a OEM factory download and am waiting on the mail for a manual. I put these together from a parts company schematic as the download had a lot of information on replacing seals and such, but not a lot of basic information.

Attachments

• photo280712.jpg
    photo280712.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
20 or so (did not count them) same diameter roller bearings that for the life of me, I can't figure out where they go

They are the bearing that go in race in front carrier or they are pinion bearings...post a pic