Johnson Stinger 1978 Powerhead question

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had water leaking into middle cylinder, so I took exhaust plates and head off. Could not see any obvious leak causes, but I guess there might be one. The cylinders look good and so does the head. So I guess I?ll just put everything back on with new gaskets.
Should I use and kind of sealer on the gaskets? And how does the tightening procedure look on the head bolts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some will argue-----Outboard motor castings all warp with time.-----You need to refinnish the head and the exhaust castings before re-assembly !!

Ricky_rich

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so you are saying that all the loose plates and head should be put through a profesional grinding machine?
What about sealer, should that be used when mounting all back together?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No I did not say that at all !!!-----I said that they are warped as all castings on outboards warp with time.-----So some grinding coumpound and flat glass plate is what you need.-----Then some elbow grease on your part to lap them flat.-----Not much coin ( $$$ ) required.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
No Title

The three cylinder motors have a serious problem. The slightest overheating will warp the inner exhaust cover plate in the area of the exhaust ports. Then water squirts into the ports, destroying the entire powerhead if allowed to continue. You should be able to see the areas of leakage by the color.

Attachments

• photo230277.jpg
    photo230277.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 0