on My 90HP J90TSLECM Can I use 3-Port fuel pump?

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I have a problem where my motor is cutting back at higher RPMs as if it were starved for fuel. I first thought it was rev limiter but it slowly started happening at less and less RPMs I cant exceed 3300 now. Pumping the primer bulb fixes the problem therefore I am assuming it is starved for fuel . My carbs are clean as a whistle and I've eliminated air and obstructed fuel flow from tank. I rebuilt the fuel pump a year ago and remembering having problems. New ones are cheap so I want to replace it.
Question: Can I use the 3 port (1-in, 2-out)fuel pump on this motor? The current one has only one port out and uses a fuel rail to distribute to 2 carbs and primer.
Thanks for any input!!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Any input -----Some will argue , but the first thing to do is a compression test on a crossflow V-4 motor.----Post your numbers.----The fuel pumps that mount on the manifold are ultra reliable and about the only thing that goes wrong is the diaphragm.------Yes you can mount a 3 port pump with a nipple on that spot on the manifold.------One pulse port IN.-----One fuel port IN and one fuel port OUT.----I doubt that a 3 port pump will work any better than a 2 port pump !

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. I have to go get a compression gauge to check that. I will do that this week.
The problem really had me scratching my head. I thought for shire I was sucking air in on my fuel line from tank but I ran a line straight from a gas can eliminating my filter/hose and still had the problem. It will run perfectly for about 20 seconds WOT then dies down. If I back off throttle for about 15-20 seconds I can run again for 20 seconds. It?s as if the carb bowls empty out and if I let them catch up it runs again.
I?ll probably stay with the single out Port pump and manifold.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Accept this fact !---Both pumps have ONE fuel port in.-------Both of these pumps only have ONE port for fuel to come out.

Fed

Commander
Don't forget there's a screen filter inside the pump but seeing as you had problems when you rebuilt it last year I'd go for a new genuine replacement for peace of mind.
Read & understand racerone's posts, I don't think you have quite got it yet.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Did you clean or remove the antisiphon valve from the fuel tank? Some have screens which partially clog. Did you check the fuel tank vent? A known-good portable fuel tank removes the built in tank from the test circuit.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Yes...As I stated I have run with a line to a gas can eliminating all tank, line, filter possibilities....it did the same thing.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
I get that the fuel pump with two out ports still only pumps the same amount of fuel. I was just trying to eliminate the manifold. However, I would still need to come off with something for the Primer solenoid so I'll just keep it like it is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???---Why do you insist that one of those pumps has 2 fuel outlet ports ?----Because it simply is not so !

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

would you kindly explain to me what the second brass nipple is for?

Attachments

• photo280481.jpg
    photo280481.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 0

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
Im going to start a new thread about original engine problem....cutting out at higher RPMs

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The pumps need a pulse signal from the crankcase !!----A + pressure and a slight negative pulse to be exact.----One pump gets that pulse by mounting directly over the hole in the manifold.----The 3 hose pumps get the pulse to the diaphragm via that second brass nipple !!----Read post # 2 again I guess.

toddschubert

Chief Petty Officer
That is what I needed! An explanation as to what the 3rd port did. Sorry I didn't pick that up in post#2. I didn't know there were pumps that didn't draw pulse from back-side.
Thanks!

Reactions: Fed