40HP Electric sea-horse outboard parts

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
Anyone know of a website or marine shop around Nashville,TN or Cookeville,TN that has parts for this engine? I have replaced the impeller and the motor is still not peeing. Any suggestions on what this may be???

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
+1 on model number. Older motors don't have the tell-tale -- look for water from the exhaust port on the back of the leg. If it has the outlet but isn't peeing, push a piece of weed whacker line up in the opening and see if you can clear it. When testing, best to have the lower unit submerged about half way (a few inches above the impeller) -- can't test much with muffs.

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
I didn't know that, thank you! I am not sure of the model number at the moment but i will try to get it soon. I do have some photos of the engine if that helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4202.JPG
    IMG_4202.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4295.JPG
    IMG_4295.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 0

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
appears to be about a '63 or '64, but others may be able to better pin it down for you. I believe I can see the model/serial number plate down under the pan at the top of the transom (on the transom bracket). Maybe model RD25(?).

The rubber piece at the back of the leg is the exhaust relief boot -- will see water from the boot if the water pump is doing it's job (i.e., water from the opening in the outer cover, currently removed.)

F_R

Supreme Mariner
This question wastes your time and our time until we get the answer to the basic question. Do you have it submerged deep enough in the water (above the level of the water pump)? Yes or No.

That motor has a rather sophisticated cooling system. No point in sitting here explaining it, if there is nothing wrong with it.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Riverside Marine in Lakewood can get ya parts and from looks its been hot at one time do to head/block paint discoloration. Might pay to check head gasket....

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
This question wastes your time and our time until we get the answer to the basic question. Do you have it submerged deep enough in the water (above the level of the water pump)? Yes or No.

That motor has a rather sophisticated cooling system. No point in sitting here explaining it, if there is nothing wrong with it.
You are completely right, I had The water level just below the pump.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for that info. Get it down in the water and report back with the results.

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
As of now the engine is on a homemade stand that I made today. I am sure I can connect a battery to it and start her up in a clean trashcan full of water? Also, Should i check the head gasket before I run it anymore due to the discoloration on the head/block?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like a plan.
The head gasket probably should be changed, if it wasn't already. But no hurry--one thing at a time.
One thing you might want to look at is the thermostat, under the cover atop the head. Removing the cover will reveal the 'stat, which should be closed at room temperature. It sits in a black plastic housing, and below the housing is a white plastic check valve with a spring below that. The check valve often is melted if it has been overheated. It will not pump water correctly if it is (or missing).

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
Great to know. Are these parts readily available/ inexpensive? I am taking my time on this project due to college draining my pockets Ha. I really appreciate all of the information!! I also found the serial number on the engine if anyone is curious.

Attachments

• IMG_4674.JPG
    IMG_4674.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 0

lindy46

Captain
That is, indeed, a 1961 model. Most parts are readily available, many right here on Iboats. Hard to find or used parts may be found at AOMCI.org. They have a free classified ad section.

Terrellbarrell

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I ended up finding the gaskets I need and took the head apart. Everything looks fine to me. What do you think?

Attachments

• photo280491.JPG
    photo280491.JPG
    348.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280492.JPG
    photo280492.JPG
    317.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo280493.JPG
    photo280493.JPG
    330.1 KB · Views: 0

F_R

Supreme Mariner
OK, somebody has already replaced the gasket since the overheat incident. That is a fact, since that red gasket is the "new and improved" version. Unless it is a camera distortion, the black indicates he didn't clean the surfaces around the cylinder bores very well. The blackness means it was leaking before he went in there, so it was a good thing that he did. Clean it up till it is nice aluminum color before installing your new gaskets. Probably ought to check the head for flatness also.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
If it were mine, I would put it back together and see if it runs right. Resurface the head cover (piece of 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a hard surface -- mating surface should have an equal shine all around. Looking to correct any slight warping.) Bury the lower unit deep in the water -- I usually try for half way up the leg.