Starter issues. I can turn the motor by hand with the plugs in...

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you taken the ohm reading , yes or no ?

I'm actually quite interested in doing this test. Can you elaborate a little as to exactly which parts to test between? I just hadn't gotten to that point yet.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Put a little grease in both shaft bushings while you have it apart. I think you'll be surprised.
Mike

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Put a little grease in both shaft bushings...

I haven't been able to find a way to break it down any further. I have no idea how to get down in to the bendix/armature... I can get it out - but haven't seen anything obvious on how to get further into it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
I'm not an expert on multi tester checking, but this might be helpful: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXV4p3m9TwY

The commutator should be cleaned up/shined up if dirty. I use a piece of sandpaper, maybe 400 grit. You may be at a point where you should assume the armature windings are shorted or burned, which should mean replacement of the starter. (Good to exhaust cleaning/lubricating/testing before going there, but might have arrived.)

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
oldboat1 - that's a great link.. Thank you... I haven't been able to find any videos on removing/replacing/cleaning/servicing the bendix on mine..
Truth be told - I have a new starter on the way - but I intend on breathing new life into this one.

Fed

Commander
Looking at the BRP website the Bendix is held on by a circlip on the end of the motor shaft.

I intend on breathing new life into this one
That's the spirit, I'd rather have a repaired genuine one than a brand new after market one any day.

interalian

Commander
You measure between the motor shaft and each spot on the commutator (where the brushes ride) - these connect to the windings. DMM should read as though the test leads are not connected to anything.

studioq

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well - the starter issues are resolved for now (new starter)... I will however break down the old one and go through the electrical tests to confirm everything.. Will also try to photo the process and put it here for further education.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
The ohms test is valid and useful. But it is not a complete test. That requires a test instrument called a growler. Of course, the average bear does not own a growler. You would have to take it to a starter repair shop to have that done.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I recall seeing a growler being used many years ago.----Today I have more faith in a digital OHMETER than a device that you have to interpret the pull on a hacksaw blade !!