New guy with some questions here.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello there boater people!

Just getting back into boating after a long haitus and picked up a 14' morrocraft about a month ago.

Looking around CL for a motor I found a 96 25hp Evenrude listed for $50. I figured that it would at least be a platform for a rebuild, but lo and behold, it runs!:eek:

Both cylinders are right @ 90psi but it needs a pump and some other TLC which Ill do over the winter.

My questions.

Is there a for sale/trader page here?

What is the name of the silver/blue paint they used on the 80's engines? I had a robins egg blue metallic 9.9 with a white cowl from that era and would like to duplicate that look. What brand paint to I use?

Similar to this color.

And lastly, is the cough in this video due to too rich an idle setting and if so how do I adjust?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The idle is to lean that is why it coughs like that. I would also check compression with a different gauge as 90 is low. You also want to make sure the lower unit is in good condition. But otherwise really nice find.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
I looked at that video several times, and do not understand how you are goosing the throttle shaft like that without moving the spark advance. That alone will cause it to lean sneeze. That and the synchronization and slow speed needle adjustment.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The idle is to lean that is why it coughs like that. I would also check compression with a different gauge as 90 is low. You also want to make sure the lower unit is in good condition. But otherwise really nice find.

90 is supposed to be good for a pull start, IIRC. Atleast thats what the stickey in the "Secret" thread leads me to believe.

Its a ***** to pull over with the plugs in.

Im having a hard time starting it as I really have to rip on it, and this is hard while its on a stand, but also I think there is a fuel issue.

I just cant determine if Im choking it too much or too little. Then theres the fuel bulb not getting as firm as I remember them to which has me puzzled.

As to the advance it rotates until it contacts a pin on the left side, then when in gear that pin drops down to let the advance rotate fully.

Atleast it looks right to me.

Any good reasonable sources for used parts other than ebay?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
90 is to low a good healthy motor would be 120. There is no choke on that motor only a primer.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
90 is to low a good healthy motor would be 120. There is no choke on that motor only a primer.

???:confused:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...ion-test-by-jb?t=313963&highlight=compression

Not trying to start a pissing match, but Im 290 and if there were anymore compression I wouldnt be able to pull it over with one hand.

I have to pull it with one hand as without holding the stand with my foot and the motor with my left hand the stand would flip over.

Im going to see if I can get someone to hold it and test it again so I can pull out all 5' of rope.:frusty:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You have the second plug out correct because there is no way that motor should pull that hard. With the second plug out and the compression tester in you are only pulling against one piston. Try taking the lower unit off and pulling it, something could be dragging. I have a merc right now that is a bear to pull and it's because it overheated and the pistons are scored and they are dragging.

Last edited:

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah, both plugs out and coils grounded, just cant get it to spin very fast.

Everything seems fine as far as I can tell. It seems the pull start pulley is only a little larger than the one on my old 9.9, which probably plays a part.

I took the lower unit off today to replace the entire pump and it all seems in good order.

Except for the bolt I broke.:facepalm:

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
for paint color when you get up to it, Diamond Blue used by Mercedes in the early to mid-80s is a spot on match, to my eye (some '80s Evinrudes). Dupli Color has it in one of its lines, I think, but some auto parts chains mix colors, and might be able to come up with it.

RaisedByWolves

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Oldboat, liiks like a good candidate.

Well I replaced the water pump and got it to pump water and now it seems easier to pull and the cough is miraculously gone.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Sounds good to me. I would dunk it in the lake or a barrel, water about half way up the leg. Test shifting at idle with some back pressure.