G2 etec

Newportme

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I may be re-powering my boat in the next year or so. I would like to install an Evinrude G2( 225 H.O.- 300 still undetermined) however, I use my boat to troll with a kicker quite a lot, probably 60% or more of total hour's per year. I have seen that the G2 has an option for an auxiliary motor steering bracket I will plan to have installed.

Can the motor be turned from the helm with the main engine not running?

I assume that it can, there will just be no power assist. This is a large consideration for me due to the way I use the boat.

Thanks,
Bruce

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Consult a dealer on that one.----My understanding says that the motor has to run for oil pressure to steer it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The ----G2 motors steer with a complicated $$$$ system.---Oil pressure moves a piston and that steers the motor.----I understand that motor must be running to drive the hydraulic pump !

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The ----G2 motors steer with a complicated $$$$ system.---Oil pressure moves a piston and that steers the motor.----I understand that motor must be running to drive the hydraulic pump !
I think it's an electric motor driving the steering pump similar to a T/N/T motor. It would make no sense to have to start the motor every time you needed to turn it. Just for the reason if you were backing it into the garage and you need to turn the motor to gain that couple of inches I couldn't see starting it. I could be wrong I am sure somebody will chime in soon enough.

Last edited: