1972 Evinrude 100hp Won't Run Now

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Now I am on to a new problem. Water is getting into the lower unit. The only places I have ran it is in my driveway with the muffs on it. I have replaced the oil 2 times now. When I loosen the drain screw the oil is a milky pink color and it also slowly drips out 1 of the weep holes. I do not know what do as I replaced ....seal kit, impeller, cup housing, solenoids, plate in the lower unit about 2 months ago and it has not been on a lake either. This type C oil is $11 a quart here so I can't keep draining and refilling. Help

To find the leak if it isn't obvious.... Drain the gear-lube (see my note below).... apply 7 to 12 psi of compressed air (no higher) to either the drain or oil level hole and listen and look for leaks.

Wondering... Do you see any evidence of oil leaks at the drain or oil level screw plug holes (nylon seals).

NOTE: Drain the gear-lube in a good size glass container or something quite transparent. The substances (oil, water, whatever) will eventually separate whereas you can discard the unwanted substances and reuse the "Type C".

Last edited:

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
when I bought the boat exactly 1 year ago was Sierra and the previous owner had just put it on and it went bad that fast.

This is why I use Serria....years or warranty and will pay me if it fails!!!!

For any SIERRA product that was originally installed on a vessel by a dealer or other professional installer that fails to comply with the Warranty, in addition to repairing or replacing the product free of charge, SIERRA will also reimburse the customer for reasonable labor charges incurred to replace the product, and reasonable towing and other similar incidental expenses incurred as a result of the failure of the product to comply with the Warranty. Labor will be calculated based on the installer?s posted shop rate that is competitive with their local market rates

Thanks for the info. FAZTBULLET. But I didn't install the Sierra power pack can I still get it warrantied ? Do I just call Sierra and ask or ? ........ JOE REEVES, I already tried pressure testing using the oil drain plug and NO AIR is holding inside the lower unit so where do I go from here ? I am wondering if the 2 brass colored inlet posts are not alone inside the water pump ports or does that matter ? I have had to remove the lower unit on this motor over 8 times and every time it is hard to know if those lined up. If I am not explaining it well enough I can take pictures.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
If you can get the invoice or work order where PO got the pack call em !!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
From post # 21 -----Is there a shift rod on a hydro-electric shift.??-------I consider these lower units to be very reliable and simple.-----Easy to trouble shoot and repair too !!

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
From post # 21 -----Is there a shift rod on a hydro-electric shift.??-------I consider these lower units to be very reliable and simple.-----Easy to trouble shoot and repair too !!

No, there sure isn't racer.... good catch. I just happened to lose track of what engine we were speaking of.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the info. FAZTBULLET. But I didn't install the Sierra power pack can I still get it warrantied ? Do I just call Sierra and ask or ? ........ JOE REEVES, I already tried pressure testing using the oil drain plug and NO AIR is holding inside the lower unit so where do I go from here ? I am wondering if the 2 brass colored inlet posts are not alone inside the water pump ports or does that matter ? I have had to remove the lower unit on this motor over 8 times and every time it is hard to know if those lined up. If I am not explaining it well enough I can take pictures.

The "No Air Holding" mention: I take it that you've pressure tested the unit in the past and that No Leaks existed. However, if water is getting in that gear-case now... lubricant is surely escaping. If it were me, I'd pressure check it again... empty gear-case, 7 to 12 psi (No Higher). Excessive pressure will make a "O"Ring or seal expand, giving a false result.

Brass colored inlet posts inside pump ports? I don't recall that in my experiences.

V153

Lieutenant Commander
Fyi. Had two fail inside of warranty. Most recent one lasted just over a year. Now they don't wanna talk to me. Ironically I have a circa 2012 CD4 that serves as back up for the "new" ones. Works fine ...?