'68 Johnson 9.5hp lower unit leaking

drumset5994

Cadet
So i bought a different motor for my other boat (69 Starcraft Seafarer). Found a guy on craigslist for $250 for a running working MQ-14E Johnson 9.5hp motor. Ran her in a barrel, smokes a little bit she runs good. Could use a little tune up but she was smooth once I got her running.

Long story short, there's a sucker born every minute. I hook it up to my boat, and low and behold, it looks like the skeg took a hit, and somebody patched it up with JB weld to cover it up. Well the JB weld is oily, so it was a bad patch job. So I figure "well, I'll look online to replace the skeg.

So now I look above the bottom of the cavitation plate, and notice there's a small hole right above the prop. I see creamy fluid inside, which when I smell it doesn't smell like gas/oil mixture, but smells like straight gear oil.

So now I look at the whole thing and think, I need a whole new lower unit. In regards to craigslist, you get what you pay for, and I was taken on this one.

So I am looking online, and notice replacement lower units have this exact same hole. Is there some sort of vent tube for the gear case? I know there was a drain hole on some of them, but this one legitemately had gear oil coming out of it.

I tried to attach a pic, but it said I'm not authorized to. But i do have a small hole above my prop.

Your thoughts?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They all have that hole.----It is a cavity drain for water to prevent freezing in cold climates.

drumset5994

Cadet
Is it normal to have gear fluid seeping out of it? I mean unless i'm totally wrong, i stuck my finger against it, smelled the fluid, smelled like gear fluid. Also the prop was wet with gear fluid dripping from there

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The oil compartment is totally sealed and does not leak.----But yours does have an oil leak.----A shop would do a simple pressure test to find the leak.---My guess is the shift rod o-ring on yours !----Note----I do own about 10 of these 9.5 hp motiors.

drumset5994

Cadet
They are really nice motors. Everyone I talk to say they tend to be quirky but they really are the best motors.