Winterizing 1962 Evinrude 5hp

Old56

Seaman
Hello,I just fogged the motor to get her ready for winter and I'm not sure if I should run the motor to get the rest of the fuel out of the lines and filter,any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Normally, you would run it out of gas and fog at the same time. Since the fogging is done, don't run it any more until you put it back in service. So, if there is gas remaining in there, you will have to drain or blow it out as a separate operation. Another option would have been to add Sta-Bil to the fuel prior to fogging.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
Need to clear the carb as best you can. Empty the carb bowl and the glass filter bowl. (Stabil an alternative, as mentioned.)

Old56

Seaman
Thanks,I do have stabil in the gas already,should I just leave her alone until spring? Or should I drain the carb and fuel filter.for all my outdoor power equipment I use the ethanol free fuel that comes pre mixed so I don't have to drain the carbs wish it was cheaper so I could use it in outboards.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Was the Sta Bil in the gas when you were fogging it? If it was, you are good. If it wasn't, well there is a chance of gumming over the winter, but I don't think I'd worry about it. Draining the carb isn't too easy on that one, if I remember correctly. Before doing that, if it were me, I'd simply start it up again (with Sta-Bil) then disconnect the gas hose and re-fog as it runs out of gas. Hey, nothing lost but a bit of fogging oil.

Old56

Seaman
Yes the stabil was already in,and its definatly difficult to drain carb not much room to get even a small screwdriver in there. Thanks for all your help.

Old56

Seaman
That's a great idea racerone,should have thought of that because evrytime I remove a carb I forget about the fuel when I remove the high speed needle. You know what happens oily fuel on my lap.thanks for the advice.