Hoist engine from here?

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,
I'm nervous about hoisting a 150hp Evinrude Intruder Spitfire. I called Evinrude, but they do not have a technical support department.
In the attached photo, is the circled bolt hole where I would attach a lifting eye? Just one lifting eye bolt??
Thank you.

Attachments

• photo278344.jpg
    photo278344.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 0

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
NO..... The lifting eye is secured to "all" three threaded holes so that the hook is centered with the crankshaft. Let me know the price you get on this one... and keep in mind that there are cheaper lifting eyes.
396748a_LIFTING-EYE_AND%20ADAPTER_zpsweabqvla.jpg

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No, no, no-----Look closely at the top of the block.----There are lifting brackets cast right into the block.-----One plainly visible in your picture above the starboard head !

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
No, no, no-----Look closely at the top of the block.----There are lifting brackets cast right into the block.-----One plainly visible in your picture above the starboard head !

So they finally got around to including lifting brackets did they? :)

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And I do believe it is a lot of work to try and use the lifting device in post # 2 if it will even work on that model.----Not the same flywheel as the traditional older models.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
And I do believe it is a lot of work to try and use the lifting device in post # 2 if it will even work on that model.----Not the same flywheel as the traditional older models.

That OMC lifting ring also has threads that screws onto the crankshaft threads.... Did they change the thread size also?

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
NO..... The lifting eye is secured to "all" three threaded holes so that the hook is centered with the crankshaft. Let me know the price you get on this one... and keep in mind that there are cheaper lifting eyes.
396748a_LIFTING-EYE_AND%20ADAPTER_zpsweabqvla.jpg

I don't appear to have the 3 other screw holes that I've seen on many engines, unless 1) you mean the 3 little cover screws I removed to gain this view, or 2) I need to remove 17 more bolts and some plastic linkages, to actually see the flywheel.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Racerone: I saw those when I removed the cover, but wasn't sure if they were for lifting the whole outboard or not. I'm worried I'd rip the whole head off. Just in case it matters, this is a '93 Evinrude, 150hp Intruder Spitfire.

Attachments

• photo278359.jpg
    photo278359.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278360.jpg
    photo278360.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
use the lift points on the block.----look for them i believe there are 3 of them.----do not use lifter in post #2 ----396748 !!!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
????---But those loops on the block are the proper lifting points.---Not sure why you question this at all.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
????---But those loops on the block are the proper lifting points.---Not sure why you question this at all.

You're right, there is a third loop that I didn't notice at first. I kind of wish they were all at the same height above ground...
I'm questioning it just because I've never done it, and because in what I've read, a lot of outboards don't have lifting rings, and because I'm afraid of damage or injury. I really appreciate the help thus far.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
That OMC lifting ring also has threads that screws onto the crankshaft threads.... Did they change the thread size also?
Joe there are no threads on a 60 degree crank......

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
I wasn't able to find any Evinrude illustration that designated lifting points. I called a local Evinrude dealer/shop, and after some discussion, they said, "Just drive it over tomorrow and we'll all look at it to make sure."
Maybe I'll get a free steering cable opinion too, make sure I'm buying the right replacement kit.
If I mess up this lift, there's not another outboard purchase possible, so I really want to make sure.
I'll report back tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
OMC made a lifting device that had one bolt in it which was for the center of the c/s. But that was for FFI only.

Projectus

Seaman Apprentice
I wasn't able to find any Evinrude illustration that designated lifting points. I called a local Evinrude dealer/shop, and after some discussion, they said, "Just drive it over tomorrow and we'll all look at it to make sure."
Maybe I'll get a free steering cable opinion too, make sure I'm buying the right replacement kit.
If I mess up this lift, there's not another outboard purchase possible, so I really want to make sure.
I'll report back tomorrow afternoon.
Thanks.

The marine shop said to use the two larger lifting rings, and skip the third because it will only make it harder, and because no one was convinced it was intended to be used when completely hoisting the engine.
New dual rack and pinion steering cables are on their way, so I'll probably hoist tomorrow to prepare. I snipped a couple zip ties to separate the steering cables from wires, but now I'm worried there are a few more, obscured by the fiberglass hull's cable tunnel. If that is the case, I'll cut both cables at both ends, and leave them there. Screw it.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You can safely hoist it using a chain lasso around the block, under the pan. Use a throw rug or something similar to protect the paint. Wrap it so that you have a chain end running up each side of the block -- can lift with a come along if you don't have a motor hoist. Attach to a shop rafter or even a good strong tree limb.

If you use the lifting ring(s), you might want to rig something like the chain lasso as a safety chain -- easy enough to do.