'88 Evinrude 110 VRO will crank but wont start

Jmr29

Recruit
Hello all! I recently bought my first boat this summer and it ran great at first. Now i am having a problem getting the motor started. It usually fires up eventually at the dock but once out to my fishing spot it will not start back up after sitting for around an hour. The motor will crank but it just doesnt seem to want to start up. I have replaced the battery and have confirmed that the motor is charging the battery (13 volts) while running. The problem has not gone away and im not sure what it is. im getting tired of being stuck out in the middle of the lake, could it possibly be a fuel issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A number of simple things to check.----First is compression.-----Then check for strong spark.----Strong spark will jump a gap of 3/8" with ease, does it?----And if the starter is in poor condition the ignition system will not produce proper spark.----Motor must spin fast.-----Starters are easy to take apart for inspection.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Sorry, sparkplugs do not really matter that much in these problems.

Jmr29

Recruit
I noticed that the priming bulb was not firm...could that be the problem?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
In addition to engine condition questions, what is your starting procedure? There is a primer solenoid in the mix -- hard to say whether the feed is too rich or too lean at starting. For cold starting, I believe the procedure is to pump the primer bulb, then push the key in while cranking. It sounds like the motor has always been a little hard to start.