1990 e120tles compression

Csummjr

Cadet
Hi , I have a v4 Looper 120 and got a compression reading of on starboard side 92, 95 port 90, 90.
Is this ok? I also have an issue with it not going over 2000 rpms. It starts and idles great. It doesn't die, just won't get going.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Not sure about compression, someone else may chime in on that. You can often remove the bypass covers to check integrity of the rings. Being all even is a sign all may not be lost.
You should check you are getting spark on each cylinder and its jumping a 7/16 gap

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
compression a little low, however motor will run

as far as going over 2000 RPM, start at the fuel tank anti-siphon valve and work towards the motor following the Low WOT guides in the stickies

Csummjr

Cadet
I'm sorry I didn't mention that the test was on cold motor with cheap harbor freight gauge. I don't know if that would make a big difference.

Bosunsmate

Admiral
Cold, not really but if you squirt a bit of oil in the cylinder and then test it if the compression goes up then it indicates rings but as said above it should still run if those numbers a true.
Has it ever worked for you?
Check that with flywheel at 0degs with the marker on it that the top cylinder is at top dead centre

Csummjr

Cadet
Ok thanks for replys. I got about 5 months ago. The first time I took it out, it started up and idle past no wake. I put the throttle down and it jumped on plane and I continued at wot for about maybe 5 minutes then it bogged down to around 2000rpm. It wouldn't open up for the rest of day. I thought it might be over heating and going into slow mode. The previous owner only used a couple times a year if that so everything was still stock on the motor. I changed thermostats and thermos seats, water pump. I took carbs off and cleaned. There were clean as can be. Seocond time out it ran great most of day till the end of fishing I wanted to fly around to see if it was fixed 10 min of hard running it bogged back down and will not exceed 2000. I tried unhooking heat sensors. No different.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Tried running with a seperate portable fuel tank and hose ?-----Checked venting of your fuel tank?

Csummjr

Cadet
Yes, and I just removed gas tank to clean and not bad with dirt and vent seemed clear

Csummjr

Cadet
Ok, so I went back to do another compression check. Instead of using the hose that goes to cylinder I used the hand held rubber nose to hold on and I got 120 120 115 115. I feel a lot better now about that. I looked in to see Pistons and a Little carbon up so should I use some deep creep to see if it cleans it up at all?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The fact that the engine bogs down and is limited to 2000 rpm suggests that there are issues.----Carbon on the pistons is not the problem !-----Run with a timing light hooked up and see if you are loosing spark on one or more cylinders.---Run and use a strong flashlight shining into carburetor bores and see if fuel flow changes when motor falters.