1993 TJ40ELETB Warning horn location help needed

Wineadors

Cadet
Just picked up a 1993 Tracker TX-17 in near new condition. I am hard of hearing so would like to add a warning light for oil alarm/overheat etc, but cannot find the warning horn on this motor at all. I've traced the wires from the oil tank to what appears to be the back of a couple of relays.
Can someone point out where the warning horn SHOULD be located?
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo278067.jpg
    photo278067.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo278068.jpg
    photo278068.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The motor appears to be using a remote control. Warning horns are usually in the remote.

You might be able to look at a wiring diagram to see what wire from the motor sounds the horn.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
If the rig incorporates a control box, the horn is within it, otherwise the horn would be at the forward end of the wiring harness under the console.

When in doubt.... ground the overheat sensor wire that's sticking out of the cylinder head, turn the key to the ON position (engine NOT running), then locate the sound!

Wineadors

Cadet
Thanks!
I found it under the steering console. One of those high pitched beeper's I'd never hear. Had to get my Wife to come out and listen even though my head was right next to it. lol. Getting old sucks, but still better than the alternative.
Now I can get a light wired into it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If the rig incorporates a control box, the horn is within it, otherwise the horn would be at the forward end of the wiring harness under the console.

When in doubt.... ground the overheat sensor wire that's sticking out of the cylinder head, turn the key to the ON position (engine NOT running), then locate the sound!

That's a good idea, Joe.

Thanks!
I found it under the steering console. One of those high pitched beeper's I'd never hear. Had to get my Wife to come out and listen even though my head was right next to it. lol. Getting old sucks, but still better than the alternative.
Now I can get a light wired into it.

Make it a bright light and flashing if you can otherwise you may not see it in the sun. But you have a starting place to work on the light.

Fed

Commander
The trouble with a light is you have to be watching to know it's on.
Maybe your horn is a little sick (quiet) or could be relocated so you can hear it better, I'm half deaf but there's no way I wouldn't hear mine it's very loud.

Wineadors

Cadet
The trouble with a light is you have to be watching to know it's on.
Maybe your horn is a little sick (quiet) or could be relocated so you can hear it better, I'm half deaf but there's no way I wouldn't hear mine it's very loud.
Hah, yeah I wish. Wife says it is deafening lol. Made her cringe outside the boat when I pointed the speaker end at her. Had my ear right against it, could barely hear it. A hearing check had me at nothing over 1800hz.
A light is better than nothing and I may also rig a lower frequency buzzer as well.

Fed

Commander
Is the motor a VRO model?
Hooking a light or extra buzzer in parallel with the horn may upset the electronics built into the VRO sensors.
The Temp sensor is straight out On/Off but the VRO uses electronics to create the 2 sets of beeps.
Might be worth researching before ripping into it.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
There are louder and more reasonably priced horns found in electronic type stores.

Also.... one could install a standard 12v automotive horn simply by installing a relay to handle the additional current required.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
To Fed's point you could add a diode before your new alert device be it a light or another horn so that nothing goes back through the tan wire to the various sensors.. So it it would be Tan wire to current horn....A piece of wire connected to tan wire(at horn)....a diode connected to wire.....another wire to other end of diode to either a light or relay to drive a louder horn.