HELP w/ NEW BOAT!!! Throttle control is VERY STIFF

butteco

Seaman
Guys pictures to come tomarrow or sunday. I JUST BOUGHT MYSELF A BOAT AFTER PERUSING THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR OVER 3 MONTHS!<br /><br />The boat is a 1970's Sundance marine out of redding,ca. It is a Ski/Speed boat. It only has an 85hp Evinrude out back though... <br /><br />HERE IS MY PROBLEM:<br /><br />I very much want to take the boat out to the lake tomarrow. But when I sat in it tonight to make sure everything was in order I noticed that the throttle (hand throttle) is very hard to push forward - it feels stiff. I took the control unit off and undid the back plate and everything is spotless no rust or anything, I sprayed about 1/4 can of SeaFoam lubricant (like wd40 but better) inside and put it back together and it is a little better but still VERY STIFF. Then I was thinking that it could be something on the motor binding, so I popped the cowling off and lubed up the linkages with the seafoam. Again it still SHIFTS AND THROTTLES VERY STIFF (this is all with the motor off). I almost have to force it just to get it into drive/forward and all the way up to full throttle... <br /><br />Any idea as to what the problem could be? The cables aren't bound or kinked, and there is NOTHING on top of them (like gas cans etc...)<br /><br /><br />Is it possible that the cables are just old - they look brand new? If so can I get replacement cables? (where/how much???)<br /><br />Thanks guys!<br /><br />P.S. during the test ride the previous owner was driving and I didn't notice him struggling with the controls at all - he was obviously used to it - I just like everything to be like butter! <br /><br />Thanks again!

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: HELP w/ NEW BOAT!!! Throttle control is VERY STIFF

Try spinning the prop. You may be stacking the clutch dog against the gear... Very hard on the cables and control!

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think the seafoam will have the effect of removing any grease that was on the controls.I would force it out to wot and then grease cable with a good quaility grease, and then work it back and forth to see if that would help. Also a lot of controls had a knob on it to put tention on the control cable. Check to see if you have one and make sure if you do that it is not screwed all the way in which would cause the problem you are having. good luck

G DANE

Commander

Be aware that in some positions the clutch dog in lower unit will block for shift movements and thereby throttle increase too. You can actually ruin remote box, cables or a linckage in shifter by doing it, prop has to be spun by someone while you try to shift, or motor running on muffs. That being said, it could sound like it needs a new pair of cables. <br /><br />Be aware that if that 85 HP hasnt been run for some time, running it without some basis maintenance, like a carb clean and impeller job might leave you with a burned cylinder and need for a rebuild after the first half hours run. Thats what happened to a buddy of mine.<br /><br />I would advise you to do the basics if the previous owner didnt show you bills for the last service, and it ist within reasonable time. These few $ may have been the best investment you've made for some time.

butteco

Seaman

Wow guys, <br /><br />Thanks for all the info. I feel somewhat stupid for asking for more help but I am a TOTAL NEW.B when it comes to boats.<br /><br />"Try spinning the prop. You may be stacking the clutch dog against the gear... Very hard on the cables and control!"<br /><br />What exactly does this mean. Am I correct to assume that you mean, unless the motor is running, or the prop is spinning, that it is normal for the shifter/throttle to be very stiff and hard to put in gear-WOT??? This would make sense as the Previous Owner said he never noticed it being stiff... <br /><br />" Also a lot of controls had a knob on it to put tention on the control cable. Check to see if you have one and make sure if you do that it is not screwed all the way in which would cause the problem you are having."<br /><br />Do you know where this knob is? Should I have to take the control box apart to find/see this knob? I didn't see a knob at all on the outside of the box anywhere!<br /><br />"Be aware that if that 85 HP hasnt been run for some time, running it without some basis maintenance, like a carb clean and impeller job might leave you with a burned cylinder and need for a rebuild"<br /><br />I have a service tag on the motor from a compression test that says 3/24/05. I called the mechanic and he said that he checked/tuned up the motor and everything was good. Everyone tells me about the rubber impellers going out. I have NO tell tale on my motor - is there a way to tell if it goes out on me?<br /><br />Thanks guys!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the control box just beneath the key. There should be a knob there that adjusts throttle friction. That adjustment is what allows the throttle lever to stay where you put it when you take your hand off it. Too loose the trottle gradually pulls back and you slow down. Too tight and the throttle becomes hard to move. Turn the knob counter-clockwise to loosen tension.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I throw in with upinsmoke on this. Check for the throttle friction knob before doing anything else. Seeing as it s a '70s boat, if the control is a big white box with padded top, the friction knob is on the forward facing end of the control.<br /><br />And if no one mentioned earlier, don't shift without having someone else spin the prop for you until you know how it supposed to feel. <br /><br />When I need to move the control I know the feel when the clutch dogs engage or smack face to face. No damage done unless you force things. If you feel them smack, just turn the prop 1/4 turn and try again. <br /><br />Don't forget to get a manual for your motor!<br /><br />You came to the right place for help. Enjoy the boat!

butteco

Seaman

Alright, I am going to take it out to the lake, fire her up and see if the prop spinning makes any difference!<br /><br />I looked for nearly 20mins on the control box and COULD NOT find a throttle control knob. My control box doesn't say Johnson or Evinrude (it doesn't have a name on it) and it is made of plastic - so it is probably an aftermarket cheap replacement??? <br /><br />I hope it works out at the lake!<br /><br />I will send you guys pictures when I get back.

Basscat 1

Chief Petty Officer

Dont start it with out water, not even for a second. Be sure and use some water muffs at least.

butteco

Seaman

10-4 on the not starting out of water... I used to run jet ski's and know all about that... Thanks for the heads up though...

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try disconnecting the controls from the engine and pull away from engine and then try you control and if it is still stiff you can rest assurd that it is the control cables or control box.

butteco

Seaman

Guys it works great!<br /><br />The shifter/throttle was just not working because the motor wasn't on!!!<br /><br />I tried to snap ya'll some pictures but they came out fuzzy. I am cleaning up the boat now and will take some pictures tomarrow when the sun comes up! Thanks agian for the advice!