1976 Johnson Javelin - Ignition problems, novice repair

Nick Dobda

Recruit
Need help, ignition problems.

First, the back story:

Late summer 2015 driving back to the dock - engine starts to sputter, as if one cylinder is going down. A minute later, more sputter, two down. 30 seconds later, engine dies, won't start. Engine cranks, but it will not turn over. Paddle back to dock and park the boat until July 2017.

I had assumed it was plugs becoming fowl. I bought new sparkplugs, and a new 1000 amp battery thinking it would turn right over. No dice. Buy an inline spark tester, no spark on any of the 4 plugs. So it is an ignition problem.

I did some minimal research, found that disconnecting the kill wire (the easy check) out of the power pack does not solve the problem.

I called the local boat mechanic, he wants $85 an hour to diagnose. I think I can probably find a new pack for that much, but I want to verify that the pack is the problem, and there are processes on the internet to diagnose, but I need the process explained in laymens terms.

Can someone explain this chart(s) to me?

http://www.outboardignition.com/page40.asp
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...test-cdi-power-pack-testing-a-helpful-website

What is DVA? What tools do I need for this check... a multimeter? A peak volt thingy (how much do they cost?).

I need the process really dumbed down and explained for me. Can anyone shine some light on whats going on with my motor?

Thank you!

Nick Dobda

Recruit
One more thing, nothing obviously wrong with the stator (no ooze coming out of it). Looks green and healthy.

Nick Dobda

Recruit
Researching threads all morning - here are my thoughts... I'd appreciate feedback

First of all my engine is Johnson Javelin 85ETLR - my interpretation of how the ignition system works is as follows:

Stator has 2 outputs:

1) to charge the battery and run the tacometer via the rectifier
2) to run the ignition system via the powerpack

Seeing as how I'm having ignition problems, I can focus my investigation the ignition side of the stator. The only bench test I can perform on the stator is to make sure neither output to the pack is grounded. Also, there should be minimal resistance between the two outputs (I assume there are primarily two wires charging the pack).

Also assuming the "trigger" is not likely the problem because historically that part is not likely to fail.
Also assuming the ignition coil is not likely the problem because historically that part is not likely to fail, and very unlikely that coincidentally both coils failed simultaneously, and there is not much in there to fail.

I can perform the ground wire bench test (lower left black/yellow) test to make sure that at no time i get voltage to the pack. Bench test as in hook the battery up, pull the wire from the pack and check for voltages with the key off / running / in between.

If all is well - its a very high probability that the pack is bad.

A next level test would be to perform DVA tests on the pack (while cranking I'm guessing) - but that would require purchasing a DVA tester, and frequently cranking on a dead engine which will eventually drain the new battery I just bought.

Comments on my thoughts would be appreciated.

Nick Dobda

Recruit
Bumping this thread back to life. I can't believe nobody commented...

The boat has been sitting for 2 years. I finally bought a powerpack and will be installing in a few days.

I will update progress when I find out what happens. If the powerpack does not work, I'd appreciate some suggestions.

Thanks!

Nick Dobda

Recruit
New power pack - problem solved. Runs like a champ again after being dead for three years.