1989 Evinrude 100 XP... Runaway

tallcanadian

Captain
Yes sir. It's running very nice. I took the t stats out, cleaned everything up. It started to get a bit hot but then she cooled down a ton. I borrowed a thermal heat gun. Starboard top cylinder hit 180f. The pee stream came to a hault. I shut her down and blew through the hose. After that it peed out a river. Temp was at 115 at the hottest and 112 at the coolest. I'm very happy. Time to bolt this bad boy on the old Gypsy.

tallcanadian

Captain
The only thing that I can point My finger to is the intake manifold gasket. When I removed it it was a real mess. It was quite a job scrape off all the old gasket. It must've been Sucking air in.

tallcanadian

Captain
This is the reason I didn't use any sealer on my intake or carb gaskets: "Do Not use any type of sealer on outboard carburetor or intake manifold gaskets as this would cause blockage of various fuel/air passageways. Also, there are new type gaskets, including head gaskets, which are used through out the engines that are coated with a substance that gives a shinny appearance to them. These gaskets are coated with a self sealer and are to be installed as is.... no sealers! Older style head and fuel related gaskets that are not coated with this substance are to be simply coated with oil.... nothing else." This came from the secret files in iboats.

I got the motor hung on the boat. I'm hoping in a couple of weeks I will take this out for a test run. The wiring harness that came with the motor was like 20' long. So I'm going to cut them back to fit properly. I don't need a pile of cable stacked in such a small area as under my splash well. Slowly getting excited.

tallcanadian

Captain
Finally!! First run with this motor and I have to say, I'm very pleased. It ran great, throttle response was dead on. She ran like a champ. This was a test run to see what, if anything, I need for the spring. I did have an alarm go off after a few minutes of WOT. I slowed down, took the cowl off and it wasn't hot. The VRO had already been disconnected. So I'm not sure why it went off. It did go away after half a minute. I ran some more with no issues. I'm happy with it. 13 1/14 X 17 prop with trim down. I didn't try any trim, just a sea trial. She hit 40 mph via my boat speedometer. I forgot my gps in the truck. I don't have a tach so rpms are a mystery right now.

interalian

Commander
Congrats. If that was WOT toward the end of the clip, it sounds like about 5000 rpm.

tallcanadian

Captain
Congrats. If that was WOT toward the end of the clip, it sounds like about 5000 rpm.

Thanks. I didn't want to be messing with it until I get a tach. I'm very happy with it.

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to this. Especially to you interalian. You offered great advice and suggestions. It helped more than you know.