VRO question

peejcj8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1989 100GT Johnson. It started smoking bad and using too much oil, fouling plugs etc.

I found a test for the VRO at http://www.maxrules.com/graphics/VROpics/VROflowchart.jpg

I have leaking from the motor housing and Intermediate housing when I pressurize to the pulse fitting to 15 psi.

When I removed the housing it looks intact, no cracks. It looks like the diaphragm also seals the housing.

Has anyone experienced this? It just does not look to me that the diaphragm is designed to be a very good seal. I wish the kit was not so expensive, I do not want to buy the repair kit only to find out the new diaphragm does not seal either. and should have just bought a new VRO.

Any experience with this? any advice?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Usually cheaper to do the conversion to non-VRO than to replace the VRO.

And with pre-mix you don't have the issue of when the VRO suddenly quits pumping oil your engine is destroyed before the alarm goes off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Inpect for air leaks on the fuel side.--------------Post results of a compression test on this motor.---------If you can solve it with money ( new VRO ) then there are no problems I think.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
how would the VRO quit pumping oil solely?....it is tandem with the fuel pump....

Indeed you COULD run out of oil via obstruction or simply no oil in the reservoir....IF your warning system is compromised, then yeah I grant you, you could destroy the motor...

been running VRO/OMS for 31 years now

continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

extreme smoke is a tell tale sign of air leak as the OP has found.

OP, sure for peace of mind go pre-mix and get a non-vro pump, that should solve your problem.

peejcj8

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Plan is to rebuild the VRO. It worked for 30 years, I'm sure it will work again.

Ill let everyone know how it turns out.

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Be sure to test the low oil and no oil circuits.....after you've repaired what you need to.

going to re-test my warning circuits this weekend.

to test No_oil circuit , use external tank of pre-mix, and plug the oil inlet.....turn engine on with water muffs....should take no time for the VRO to yell at you ....assuming your warn works.

to test horn
it should beep when you turn the key to ON.
disconnect the temp sensor at the blade connector and ground the tan wire (not the tan wire to temp sensor ) that goes to horn. it should beep.

To test low-oil , using torx screw driver remove the oil pick up and see that the contact points for the oil level make contact, turn the key to on....it should beep once for the initial key ON, then should start beeping once every minute or so....I don't think the motor has to be running for this test, but if it does you could route an oil tube from pump to another container of oil so the No-oil circuit doesn't kick off. and run the motor

JDusza

Ensign
Someone's got to say it....VROs are sh$#%^ buckets. Disable it pronto and go to premix, else eventually you'll be buying a new engine. Designed-in failure to get your good money. Marketing and Sales love it, your dealer loves it. Take my advice. VRO sucks.
Scrap it and go premix. Immediately!
J

cfauvel

Chief Petty Officer
Someone's got to say it....VROs are sh$#%^ buckets. Disable it pronto and go to premix, else eventually you'll be buying a new engine. Designed-in failure to get your good money. Marketing and Sales love it, your dealer loves it. Take my advice. VRO sucks.
Scrap it and go premix. Immediately!
J

oh stop it already....The VRO doesn't suck, you just don't understand mechanical engineering, and that's fine. You are right that going pre-mix is a safe alternative, we've been doing that in our lawn equipment for ages.

and just in case you DID want to learn something about the VRO system.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engin...f-the-vro2-oms

Last edited: